Problems with menus on DVD

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
acmarcil

Postby acmarcil » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:23 am

Hi you all,

I'm a new member on this forum and this is my first post,

I have just completed a PSP project that includes 10 shows and lasts 1 hr and 43 min.

I intend to give this DVD to a few family members and friends and would like to be certain that it will play OK on any machine

PROBLEM

Burning a DVD ( Sony DVD-R ) within PSP, the menus work OK on one DVD player but not on our 2 Liteon machines. ( When the menu page first opens, I'm able to select any of the shows but the next time the menu page appears, no choices can be highlighted nor selected )

Seems to me I've read that some people with a similar problem had taken another route, which is to make a ISO image within PSP and then ???

I've made a ISO file and burned a DVD with Nero ROM: same result

I'm a bit lost

Thanks,

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby DanDan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:54 am

Hi Claude. Welcome to the forum.
While I have burned DVDs through PSG or Producer, some with multiple thumbnails for individual shows, I have not burned one with multiple page menus. I have made ISOs and burned through Nero (Nerovision) that included multiple page menus. The discs played fine for me. I have had problems with the Sony DVDs though. I used the DVD+ (from Sam's Club), about 1/3 of them became coasters. The imbedded ink was not smooth, if you hold them at an angle under a good light you can tell. I had problems not just with computer burning (Proshow or other), but also with my DVD recorder. To my recollection, I have not had problems with other brands of DVD discs that were not of my own doing. Take a look at your Sony discs to see if the ink is smooth (not actually visable, but you can tell if it's irregular).
My only other guess would be the DVD players in question. Some older models may not support burned DVDs. With some players you have to punch a number and then enter on the remote, not just arrow and select.
Someone else will have other ideas for you, hang in there.
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

Postby Barbara_K » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:44 am

Hi Claude,

I don't believe burning to ISO or what program you use to burn will change anything. If your DVD plays fine on one player there's nothing wrong with the DVD. The way ProShow writes the menus is just not compatible with some players. I have the same problem with my Lite-on DVD player but not on other players. I have to use the numbers on the remote to select a thumbnail. The only other option would be to save your shows in a video format and author the DVD in another program.

Barbara

acmarcil

Postby acmarcil » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Barbara and Dan,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Since I wrote my post, I've tried my project on 2 other machines and it works fine which leads me to think that maybe Liteon is the problem.

Anyhow, I would like to try Barbara's suggestion: [b][i]The only other option would be to save your shows in a video format and author the DVD in another program. [/i][/b]

How to I convert my shows to a video format. I've tried opening a show in Studio 10 and it does'nt recongnize it.

Thanks,

acmarcil

Postby acmarcil » Tue May 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi again,

Barbara suggested that convert my SHP projects to a video format and use another program to author my DVD.

Problem is I dont know how to convert a project to a video format.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks a lot

Postby Barbara_K » Tue May 01, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi Claude,

Click on the "Video" icon at the top of the PSG window (It's between "Video CD" and "Share Show"). When the "Create Video" window opens choose the settings you want. I never render to video but it looks like setting the type to DVD will give you the best quality.

Barbara

macman2006uk

More Problems With Menu

Postby macman2006uk » Tue May 01, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi Everyone:
Yesterday for the first time, I was having big problems with menu PSG 3.0 1942.
One menu page 3 show thumbnails, for some reason after creating show and rendering to ISO, the 3 thumbnails picked 1 woked, 1 not there & 1 inactive after burning. I could see at time of start of rendering that could be problem but thought it may be ok on the DVD burn but "No"
Have created lots of personal shows without a hitch but this happened for first time yesterday.
I have uninstalled/re-installed, also defrag, anti spyware/anti virus clean also full scan disk.
Problem still there.
Any ideas.
John Mac
Newcastle on Tyne
UK
02/May 2006
05:48 am GMT.

acmarcil

Postby acmarcil » Thu May 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Barabara K

Thanks for the hint. How stupid of me for not seeing this button. I'll try this method and will come back with the results.

djmagic

Postby djmagic » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:41 am

Barbara_K wrote:Hi Claude,

I don't believe burning to ISO or what program you use to burn will change anything. If your DVD plays fine on one player there's nothing wrong with the DVD. The way ProShow writes the menus is just not compatible with some players. I have the same problem with my Lite-on DVD player but not on other players. I have to use the numbers on the remote to select a thumbnail. The only other option would be to save your shows in a video format and author the DVD in another program.

Barbara

The way ProShow writes the menus is just not compatible with some players
is there a fix for this or a plugin...!

Postby Barbara_K » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:48 am

You could make your show without a menu or use a third party application. I think I've read here that Adobe Premiere works okay for menus.

Barbara

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting