The Presenter Plug-in

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

The Presenter Plug-in

Postby floridabill50 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:33 pm

I have been using Proshow and viewing shows for 10 years and I just tried to view some of my shows and it said to click to install new presenter plugin which I did. When I clicked to play a show that same message appears to install plug in. Tried different browser but same result. Rebooted and tried with the same result. This is first time I have ever encountered an issue trying to play a show or using a new presenter installer. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: The Presenter Plug-in

Postby Lavina Molnar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:24 pm

floridabill50 wrote:I have been using Proshow and viewing shows for 10 years and I just tried to view some of my shows and it said to click to install new presenter plugin which I did. When I clicked to play a show that same message appears to install plug in. Tried different browser but same result. Rebooted and tried with the same result. This is first time I have ever encountered an issue trying to play a show or using a new presenter installer. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks.

Sorry, I have no answer :( BUT I want to say during the past while, I have been plagued with this self same problem too. AND it's driving me up the wall. I don't know why Presenter disappeared from my PC.
All those dozens of slideshows I have worked on and loaded on to the Photodex site, now it seems they can't be viewed anymore unless one HAS Presenter. Thank the stars I backed up my shows on DVD before I freed them from my PC, so I can at least watch them on the T.V. But what an annoying inconvenience. SO if anyone out there is able to suggest any remedy, I - and no doubt many others - will be eternally grateful.
Vision + Strong Desire + Knowledge + Imagination + Persistence = Success

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi

Since I installed the newer version as test, keeping my version 7, I had problem when trying to view shows on photodex.

Yesterday I also had the problem with px files on my hard drive.

I used a right click open with, choose the presenter.exe file and now it works fine.

Perhaps this can help you...
Chris Marie

Postby ginger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm

It's my understanding that the newer browser versions are to blame, and that we need to start outputting our shows as video files to YouTube or Vimeo. I considered downloading an older version of Firefox or Chrome to try to be able to view on Photodex, but decided maybe that wasn't such a good idea because of security issues. If you have an older version of a browser (that hasn't been automatically updated) you might be able to still view them (I found an old version of Internet Explorer that I rarely use that was able to view them.)

ginger

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:09 am

As has been stated . . . the latest versions of some web browsers will not support the use of plug-ins such as Photodex Presenter. I found this out when I attempted to play one of the slideshows I have posted on Photodex only to see the message that I needed to install the Presenter plug-in to view the file. In spite of everything that I did, I was unable to gain playback access to any of my slideshows.

Needless to say I was very frustrated so the following day I called Photodex and had a chat with customer service. I soon discovered my current Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers no longer support the Presenter plug-in due to security concerns. I asked if Photodex had any "work-around" or "fix" for the problem and was told they did not.

At this point I decided to revert my browsers to earlier versions that continue to support the Photodex plug-in. I am currently running Firefox 49.0.2 and IE Version 11. These web browsers continue to allow playback of our uploaded Photodex slideshows just as always.

If you use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser and would like to regain the ability to play your Photodex slideshows like before you can find and download an ealier version from this Mozilla website: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/ Just find the version you would like to install and follow the prompts to revert your current Firefox web browser to an earlier version. If you use Internet Explorer you can find earlier versions here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/internet-explorer/ :D

Postby heckydog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:11 am

A couple of caveats on this topic.

If you use FF or Chrome as your main browser, (I use FF), it's probably best to keep it up to date. Rolling it back just so you can view your slide shows can be risky, to say the least.
Besides, you post shows so you can share them with friends and family, etc. In all likelihood those people will keep their browsers up to date so in essence you will end up being the only person who can view them anyway.

I have IE11 but I use it so rarely I don't consider it risky behavior. When I do open it I get warnings that my current settings put my computer at risk. But I'm willing to take that miniscule risk.

Only Photodex knows how their Presenter plugin works. But it would be nice for them to at least come up with some kind of utility to convert a px video to a standard format like mp4. It doesn't seem likely they'll be able to come up with a solution to make Presenter files playable with the newer browswer settings.

Joe

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm

I agree, it is always a good idea to keep your software up-to-date.

The only reason I reverted to an earlier version of my browsers was to enable the Photodex Presenter plug-in function. I run very good anti-virus programs which block malicious "stuff" from getting loaded on my computers, but I would certainly like to see Photodex come up with a way for their Presenter plug-in to funtion with the current Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers as it did before.

In the meantime I have started to post my videos to Youtube and Vimeo as an alternate to the Proshow website :wink:

Dan

Postby Astra » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:22 am

Hi,
I had similar problem with Presenter in 2015.

Here is the link (from 2015) which has helped me to solve it,
..... hope, it will do the same for you - even it is 2 years later ....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23419&hilit=+presenter

Alex/Astra

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting