Switch to full style
Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Post a reply

Difficulties with EXIF captions and template

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello

I am trialing ProShow Gold and am closer to purchase.

However I have two issues I would like some help with.

I am trying to display the contents of the EXIF Image Description field on each of the slides in a slide show. Sometimes when I try to add a caption using an EXIF macro sometimes the macro list appears and sometimes it doesn't, the list is just blank. This is with the same photo files so I know there is data there as sometimes I can display the macro list and at other times I can't. In other words it appears to be an intermittent bug.

When the caption does display on a slide sometimes it appears normally so that I can adjust the size of the caption frame. At other times the caption frame is so small it is not possible to grab a frame handle with the mouse to enlarge it. Adjusting the size using the related drop down doesn't seem to work either.

Do any forum members experience with these apparent bugs?

I am running windows 10 and a high resolution screen. ProShow Gold 7.0.3527

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Jeff (from downunder)

Re: Difficulties with EXIF captions and template

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:16 pm

I don't remember hearing of that issue before. What steps exactly are you using to create the problem? I am familiar with the regular macros, but not one to show the EXIF field you describe? I would suggest sending Photodex support an email (unlike lots of places these days, they actually respond quite promptly). You might include a screenshot of the issue as well. See what they have to say.

OK, I see what you are doing (I was experimenting with an image that did not have any EXIF data - and mine don't have any image description fields identified). I suspect that what you may be running into is related to the size (dimensions) of the slide you are working on - I have run into something similar in Photoshop where setting the DPI wrong will bite you - it should not affect things, but what it does affect is the size of any text you add to the image ... took a bit to figure out what was doing that.

mikey

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:10 am

gpsmikey wrote: . . . . . . .

- I have run into something similar in Photoshop where setting the DPI wrong will bite you - it should not affect things, but what it does affect is the size of any text you add to the image ... took a bit to figure out what was doing that.

mikey

Hi Mikey,
You have a fine understanding of technical matters and always come up with great answers. Here is a question for you.
DPI only concerns printers. Why should it affect things?

Thanks and sincere regards.
pd

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Yes, I realize that is the claim, however, what I found was that depending on the "dpi" of the image, it affected the size of the text when added. It seems the (it has been a while since I found this) "points" of the text are related to the calculations for the display and involve the "dpi" setting for the image.

mikey

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:29 pm

OK the answer to my issue turned out to be this.

Exif captions only apply to the first ie top layer. If ProShow automatically creates a slide show and then one tries to add captions to a layer that is not the image then the exif macro options will not show. That is what was happeneing to me.

Similarly a resizable caption must also be on the image layer and not on some other layer.

Given that ProShow includes the ability to create a slideshow "automatically" and may well produce top layers that are not image layers on one or more of the hundreds of photos which may make up a show, one would have to go through them all to make sure the captions are only applied to top image layers I consider these issues are design flaws. If I had not found out what the problem was I may well have decided not to purchase on the basis that the program was flawed.

Jeff

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Sorry, I should also say thank you to each of you for responding to my post.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:47 am

gpsmikey wrote:Yes, I realize that is the claim, however, what I found was that depending on the "dpi" of the image, it affected the size of the text when added. It seems the (it has been a while since I found this) "points" of the text are related to the calculations for the display and involve the "dpi" setting for the image.

mikey

I think that even Adobe (Photoshop) can be misleading. When creating something starting with New, that window refers to DPI when I feel it should be PPI.
In any case, it appears we know where we are getting at.
Thanks.
pd
Post a reply