Format selection

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Format selection

Postby GramRfone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:01 am

A friend wants to put one of my videos on the Web via his pages. I'm OK with that. He asks that it be in MPEG 4 @ 1080. I selected these in the Videos for Web, Devices etc display category and after 90mins ended up with a strange MNU file. Clearly I did not tick all the right boxes at the selection stage. Is there a chance someone could guide me through that area so that I don't have to tie up the computer for another 90mins only to find I'd overlooked part of the selection process. Thanks in advance.

Re: Format selection

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:17 pm

MNU is a MENU file (that is, the "custom" menu for the show being created). The video selection you say you used should have told you that it's only for a single file (if you have a project open) and only for the currently selected show. There are no menu options for the creation of an MP4 file.

Enter VIDEO for Web, Devices... publishing format. Click on Create. In the menu dialog that pops up, select the "+" for "Video File" to expand the selection. Next, Choose 1080p. The "save location" will tell you that it's going to ask you where you want to save the file. For the Profile selection, choose an option you can accept (HD or Normal Quality). Click on CREATE. A dialog opens up that's asking you where you want to save the file. In the FILE NAME section at the bottom of the window type in the name you want to save the as (or accept the default name). Click on SAVE. A dialog window will appear that says it's RENDERING VIDEO.

If you selected "Video for Uploading to the Web" ... you would have selected 1080p. Notice the info that accompanies that selection: It's going to create an AVI file (which is a container) using an MP4 compression profile. Follow the directions as above.

Now, open windows explorer and navigate to the folder where you told ProShow to save your file. Click on the title line of the DATE column (if that's a tab you have available to you ... this sorts the files according to most recent or oldest). With the most recent file in the list shown, you'll notice the file name you just told the program to create ... and, if you have the program showing known extensions, it'll be given as [yourFilename].mp4] or as [yourFilename].avi if you used the uploading to the web option. Or, you could select the image file and look at the bottom of the windows explorer window ... you should notice some file information or you could right click and get some file properties on it. The key thing you should notice is that it's an MP4 (or AVI). How you got an MNU file instead of an MP4 (or AVI) is anyone's guess.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: Format selection

Postby GramRfone » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Followed your Para 2 instructions and everything was fine. I am pretty sure that was what I did the first time around but having only returned from a cataract operation in the past week, the present focal length imbalance probably caused me to tick a wrong box. Many thanks.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting