DVD show has ugly red cast

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

DVD show has ugly red cast

Postby alhzcm » Mon May 25, 2015 6:51 am

I finally finished my slideshow and published it to a DVD using 'DVD HQ'. When I showed it on my TV, the whole show had an ugly red cast throughout the show. Thinking that maybe my TV or DVD player was too old for 'HQ', I rendered another version in 'DVD SD'. Results were no different. What am I doing wrong? I didn't see any parameter in the options menu or elsewhere that might have caused this coloration to the show. Stumped! Incidentally, I successfully produced wonderful slideshows on this same TV and DVD player using previous versions of ProShow Gold several years ago, so I am doubting that my TV and player are(is) the culprit. I have version 7 now.

Re: DVD show has ugly red cast

Postby gpsmikey » Mon May 25, 2015 7:18 am

I have not heard that complaint, but there may be a new "feature" that crept into V7. First suggestion, create a short test show with just 10 slides or so. Create a DVD from that and see if the problem still exists. The path many of us use for DVD creation is to burn to an ISO file instead of burning direct then use the free Imgburn utility to actually burn a DVD (or multiple ones if you want). If you do it that way, you can then also "play" the ISO on our computer with the free VLC player - see if that shows the problem. Another option you can try if your TV is fairly new is to render to mp4 as 720p or 1080p - many of the newer TV's have USB ports on them and will read a flash drive with an mp4 on them (that is the way I have been doing it recently). See if the mp4 version shows the red cast. The trick is to figure out where it is getting added so we can figure out what is causing it.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 26, 2015 3:40 am

I've seen color casts caused by using a color space other than the "normal" of sRGB. Some of the color spaces used in Photoshop are notorious for this, but what I've seen is green, not red. And besides, you're likely to see the color cast even while still building the show. Nevertheless, check the color space used by your images and the one set for ProShow. It's a long shot, but sometimes long shots pay off.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby alhzcm » Tue May 26, 2015 10:47 am

I haven't used Photoshop, nevertheless this is the first suggestion that deals with color. Where (how) do I find the "color space" I have been using? Still looking for solutions.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue May 26, 2015 11:24 am

Two places that come to mind off the top - in the setup menu for your camera, you can select the color space (usually) and if you open an image in Photoshop, it can tell you the color space used. It is also in the EXIF data for the image and the free Irfanview utility (and others) will tell you what the color space was.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 am

Are you using an image editor of any kind? If so, there should be somewhere in it that tells you what the color space is. Mikey's suggestion of IrfanView is excellent. I've used it for years. Have you looked through the various settings when creating a DVD to see if color is addressed anywhere? If you don't find a solution on your own, don't hesitate to contact Photodex. They may have the answer just sitting there waiting for you.

Barbara

Postby alhzcm » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:52 am

I want to post a resolution to this problem. Some very sophisticated solutions were proposed, and I appreciate the effort several have made on my behalf. In the end, the resolution was far simpler: apparently the problem lies in the DVD player. Don't know what happened since it was last used successfully, but when I tried my DVD's on other players, the colors are beautiful. Unfortunately it took me awhile to get access to another DVD player. I suspected this all along. Since this problem hadn't been reported before, it didn't seem likely the any of the software I was using to process my slides was so unusual that made me unique.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 am

Glad it's been solved!

I'm glad you thought to post the solution. It means that someone else with the same sort of problem might read this and quickly solve their own problem.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Hello

I don't know if it may apply to DVD player but sometimes you can get a bad image on your screen due to the VGA plug not correctly pushed in or with pins bended or broken.

Then verify the plugs and cable between your DVD player and TV.
Chris Marie

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting