Switch to full style
Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Post a reply

Video elements of presentation freeze on DVD playback

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 am

I'm using PSG build 6.0.3392 to create a Wedding presentation for a niece. The presentation consists of photographs and AVCHD video taken on a Sony Camcorder.

I have trimmed some of the video clips using PSG own internal editing system and made sure I clicked the "SYNC TIME" button before I save the edit. The presentation is fine when played back on the PC within PSG but as soon as I burn to DVD during playback the video element of the presentation "freezes" on an adjacent photo slide whilst i can hear the audio of the video still playing in the background. I have tried creating an ISO and burning this with Nero but the problem persists.
A couple of questions:-
1) When you trim video within PSG is the video actually reduced or are they simply "markers" which tell the program to ignore parts of the video? (Similar to when you crop an image in MS Word, the cropped area its still in the background but not visible!)
2) What does the "Lock slide to video length" checkbox do? Should I be using this as well as clicking "Sync Time" or will it lock the slide to the "Actual Video Length" instead of the "Trimmed Video Length"

Perhaps I should trim the video in another program before importing it but PSG editing feature is really easy
I would really appreciate if anyone have any pointers how to resolve this issue?
For info I am running PSG in Parallels on a MAC if this might be relevant! Whish there were a native Mac version :(

Many thanks
Fozzy

Re: Video elements of presentation freeze on DVD playback

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 pm

I have run into issues like that in the past with several video files that were corrupt. Not sure if that is what you are seeing here. As far as the "editing", it is non-destructive - it only uses pointers to the start and end points you have selected in the video file and uses that segment when it is rendering (the original video file is unchanged). If you are within your 1 year period, I would suggest installing the latest release - (6.0.3410) there were a number of bugs they fixed in the earlier versions of 6. I generally edit any video I am going to use first in an external editor (I have Sony Vegas) which also allows you to render to a different format if necessary although I would have expected it to complain about the format during preview if that was an issue. I generally just set the slide length to the length of the video.

mikey

Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks GPSMikey,
I can't afford the full version of Vegas Pro at $600 :( however I am not sure if the cut down Movie Studio 11 Platinum would be suitable. I have heard its a steep learning curve to use any version of Vegas though.

I will upgrade to 6.0.3410 to see if that makes any difference. I am still not sure what the "Lock Slide to Video Length" option actually does over and above syncing the time?

Fozzie

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Actually Vegas Movie Studio works quite well and will probably do everything you ever wanted. No need for the full blown Vegas. Yeah, a bit of a learning curve, but that is true of almost all of the video editors - anything with decent power also has a learning curve (look at the learning curve for Photoshop!!) Proshow is very good at what it does, but video isn't one of those things - it can use video, but the more you can prep the video to look the way you want, the better the outcome. Like baking a cake - it works better if you take the flour out of the bag before adding to the mix :D

mikey
Post a reply