problem soundtrack mutes over video

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

problem soundtrack mutes over video

Postby iamanartist » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:50 am

Hello,
I am making a show using Producer 6. I am using both still pictures and video. I have one soundtrack. I am using the soundtrack over the sound in the video (I do not want the video sound to be heard) and it's all working well except on two of the videos. On those two videos, the soundtrack mutes substantially even though I have done everything the same as I have with the other videos. I go into the layer tab of the video and in the section called video clip settings I have brought the volume down to 0% with no fade in and fade out and I have checked where it says “prevent default soundtrack fade during this video”. All the other videos work great except for these two that I am having a problem with. I have listened to the soundtrack and it is fine. Would anyone know what else I can do to fix this problem? Thanks very much.

Re: problem soundtrack mutes over video

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:16 am

That does seem odd. What is different about those two video clips that are causing the problem? (are they from a different source/camera/format than the ones that work or just what?)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby iamanartist » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:55 am

All the video clips were taken at the same event with the same camera and settings all in the space of 1 hour. That is why it is so hard to understand why they are giving me a problem but the other video clips are fine. I have tried to re put in the video clip and the same problem happens. So, you think it is the clip rather than Proshow?

Postby iamanartist » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 pm

Hey, I figured it out!!! Yes, there is something different about those two clips compared to all the others. I just looked at them again and those two clips have a slide style applied to them the "Backdrop Dark Framed Zoom In" style. As soon as I took out the slide style it worked fine!! Thanks so much! Does this mean that you can't apply a style to a video clip?

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:01 pm

I don't know - first time I have heard of it. Is this a style from Photodex or someone else ? It has the smell of a "feature" about it though :D I was just starting from the point of many many different video formats out there and trying to see if they were different, but it sounds like you have narrowed the problem down. If it is a Photodex style, ask them tomorrow, if it is one of our other friendly vendors here, shoot them a note - most of them are more than happy to help out their customers.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

iamanartist wrote:Hey, I figured it out!!! Yes, there is something different about those two clips compared to all the others. I just looked at them again and those two clips have a slide style applied to them the "Backdrop Dark Framed Zoom In" style. As soon as I took out the slide style it worked fine!! Thanks so much! Does this mean that you can't apply a style to a video clip?

This is my guess. If you examine the slide style used on the two other problematic slides, you will see it's made of three layers of the same image (or in your case, a video clip). Perhaps only the top layer clip had the volume adjusted. Since the two other layers below that are a duplicate of that top layer video clip, it may still be playing the two clips with their volume turned up which caused the soundtrack to mute.

Either replace those two video clip layers 2 and 3 by manually inserting two STILL images and replicate the settings, or change the volume in those clip layers and see if that solves the problem. Personally, I'd use the still image solution as there is no reason to have two extra video clip layers because it puts unnecessary burden on the computer's memory and could cause further headaches. Using stills will significantly reduce the size of your show as well.

It doesn't mean a slide style can't be applied to a clip. It just means that you'll have to see if there are duplicate layers of the clip used in other layers in the slide which could use further tweaking if you want the soundtrack to play as desired.

Again, this was a theoretical guess. I didn't try it out. So, let us know if that works or not if you want to try that potential solution and keep the slide style applied.

Hope that makes sense.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby iamanartist » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for both of your replies! Yes, the slide style I was using is a Photodex style. I bought it from them. I will email the company and ask about it. And yes, I will take a look at the layers and see if that could be the reason. Although you are right, it is probably better to leave the video clip as it is rather than trying to apply a style to it. But, according to this tutorial by Photodex you can do anything to a video clip that you can do to a still photo

Postby debngar » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:14 pm

iamanartist wrote:---snip--- Although you are right, it is probably better to leave the video clip as it is rather than trying to apply a style to it. But, according to this tutorial by Photodex you can do anything to a video clip that you can do to a still photo

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting to leave the clip as it is and not apply the slide style, necessarily. I was suggesting that after applying the slide style to insert a still images in the place of the clips in layers 2 and 3 and reapply the same settings to for similar effect without the hassle of having to mess with the audio in those layers. Those two other clip layers are deleted after the stills are inserted. The slide style doesn't know the user is inserting a video clip, which, unlike a still image, can have audio issues to address. The user need to make adjustments to get the desired audio results. Slide styles don't magically make every image look great necessarily. They often benefit from minor position adjustments (or in this case, volume/sound adjustments) to have them display as desired. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby iamanartist » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I have learned a lot about mixing video and stills with this slideshow. I will definitely apply this information to the next slideshow that I make.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting