Help on proshow producer_Blank dialog

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Help on proshow producer_Blank dialog

Postby tonyneo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi ppl,

Need your great help urgently, as I am rushing to create my wedding montage using proshow producer.

When I was trying to open a new show or work on my existing one, I keep encountering blank dialog.
For instance, when I open a new show, there is a blank dialog with this message "\new_show_blank" or when editing a slide, a blank dialog with this message "/Slide_show".
When creating new effects, I faced some problem with the dialog box too... argh!!

Everything was fine two days back. I didn't install any new program or change any configurations on my laptop.
Should I reinstall my proshow, which I purchased a few days back.

Re: Help on proshow producer_Blank dialog

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Have not heard of that one - what happens if you try to create a new show (just a short one) as a test? Do you get the same thing ? When exactly are you getting this dialog?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby tonyneo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi gpsmikey,

Try to attached the printscreen, but have some issues in doing so due to the limitation on 600 pixel wide. Attached are the URL link of the printscreens.
Would appreciate any help. Thanks

http://theimagehost.net/upload/0859a92614ea976c211a393f25900897.png

http://theimagehost.net/upload/6633d8b46c096b78b17ec453a3da2b1f.png

http://theimagehost.net/upload/b61d714b0a8209cad6945d047579675e.png

Postby tonyneo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi all,

After reinstalling the software, everything is back to normal.
The blank dialog box is ok now.

However, it left me a lingering fear whether the problem will strike again since I did not know the root causes.
Sigh....

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:09 pm

That is very strange - glad you got it working again. I don't remember hearing of that before (I did look at your screenshots). Something certainly seems to have been confused. Let us know if it happens again (and Photodex support is generally very good at getting back to people fairly quickly unlike Sony that seems to think that in the same year is "quick" :evil: )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 am

Are you perhaps saving your show on an external drive?
Are your pictures located on an external drive?

If this should happen again, you don't need to reinstall the program. You just need to delete two files from the program directory.
These 2 files will be recreated once you reopen the program.

Here is how to delete the files:

Close the program and do this from Windows.
1) Right-Click the icon you usually use to launch the program.
2) Click "Properties".
3) Look for a button called “Find Target…” or “Open File Location” which takes you to the program files.
4) Please locate a file in this window called "proshow.phd" and delete it. Do the same for "proshow.cfg"
5) Now open Producer and try to open your show.

Postby im42n8 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:41 am

While this program is MUCH more stable that it was in the past, it still has a tendency to do things that make you wonder about it. Many of the problems can be solved by deleting the two files Mona told you about. They can get "corrupted" and cause all kinds of odd problems ... other times, it's anyone's guess what the problem is.

Saving your show or your images on an external drive is not going to be the source of the problem unless that drive (for whatever reason) is no longer seen by the operating system. Saving your show and/or your images to a network drive, however, is not a good idea.

Another potential source for problematic show viewing is the PXC (show cache). It's not something you should experience all that often but, for some problems, its a file to consider. Delete it and, like the PHD and CFG files, it's re-created upon reopening the show.

Another thing you can do is save regularly ... in addition to the autosave feature. Normally, you won't need to do this (you have backup files *b01 through *b09, *bak, and the autosave files). However, sometimes peace-of-mind means saving the file(s) yourself.

Also, just because you just installed the program, doesn't mean you won't have problems... as you found out. Sometimes stuff happens during that installation that "corrupts" something. How, is anyone's guess. However, if the anti-virus program is running while you're installing the program, chances are good that one or more of the program's files could get flagged as "bad" and therefore quarantined (or something).

That's the gist of it. . . you'll learn more about it as time goes on. But, you shouldn't run into problems like this on a regular basis...

Good luck and Have Fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting