Proshgw does not react when I scroll between the slides

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Proshgw does not react when I scroll between the slides

Postby fredtriep » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:41 am

I am using ProShow for only one week. I regularly get problems when i want to scroll through my slide show in ProsShow. The program does not work anymore and the windows waiting symbol turns comtinously. I can only stop the program by using Control Managment of Window.

My problem, arise when I had more than 90 slides in the slideshow. Is the number a problem?

Regards

Fred Triep

Re: Proshgw does not react when I scroll between the slides

Postby cherub » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:03 am

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The number of slides in your show should not be a problem

However, the show cache sometimes gets corrupted and can cause all sorts of problems.
Close the program, and in Windows, try to delete the file YourShowName.pxc. YourShowName is of course the name that you gave to your show, with the extension pxc. This file is found in the same folder where you saved your show. Be careful not to delete the file with the extension psh because that is your actual show, and you'll lose it.
When you next open ProShow, it will take a few moments to load the show, because the program will be rebuilding the cache of the show.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you may also try deleting two other files that are found in the program directory: proshow.phd and proshow.cfg. This will cause the program to revert to its defaults. By deleting these two files, you can solve some problems related to the installation of the program itself.

Please let us know if this was of any help.

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 am

Welcome to the forum Fred! :D

Adding to what Mona said, the cache file (YourShowName.pxc) is continuously written to while you work on your show. As such, it is vulnerable to glitches. Usually it's not a problem though. Some problems can be resolved by deleting it. If it doesn't exist when the show is opened, the program re-creates it.

ProShow.phd is also written to regularly. Many really strange problems result from a corruption of this file. If it's missing when the program opens, it's recreated. This is the proshow "database."

ProShow.cfg is simply your Proshow configuration file. Again, it's re-created if it is missing when ProShow opens. It's updated when the program is opened. Some few problems with the program can be blamed on a corruption of this file.

As Mona said, the number of slides in your show should not be a problem. Nor should the number of images in your show. While there are an unlimited number of layers allowed per slide, the actual limitation becomes the amount of memory usage per slide (or the amount of memory used during play or scrub during a transition and both slides are in memory at the same time ... normally not a problem).

Other problems might crop up from time to time that have nothing to do with the files mentioned above. Strange problems. Sometimes it's a matter of just re-opening the program. You may run into them from time to time (an example is if you edit gradients in the "add gradien" dialog too often). But, normally, you shouldn't have to worry about any of this. The program is substantially more stable than it used to be, that's for sure. Just open the program again and begin playing around with it again... :)

The problem you just ran into is one of those odd one's that should not show up very often. Some of these problems might crop up because the program was installed with the virus checker still running... stuff happens. :|

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 am

There's nothing more frustrating than to have worked on a show for a while only to have the program freeze up and potentially lose what you've worked on.

Once you perform the steps Mona suggested, there's something I do that helps minimize the problem you described. As I work on my shows, I make a habit of frequently hitting the save button. When/if the program gets to the point where it's noticeably slowing down, I save again, then exit the program. Once the program is opened again, things seem to work better.

I also think it can help to have more RAM in the machine than the minimal recommended amount.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting