DVD player

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

DVD player

Postby Kathbc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Have completed my show and burned a DVD that looks good when played on my computer and horrible on my DVD player attached to my TV which is ultimately where I'd like to play the DVD.

I unchecked "desaturation" and was able to get the colours looking a bit more like they should but the whole show is still over refined and over saturated. Images are at 80%

The only setting changes to the DVD player are for resolution.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: DVD player

Postby debngar » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Did you try adjusting your TV to a different viewing mode? There are several on my TV remote, "Standard" "Movie" and "Dynamic" - the later being quite unnaturally saturated and bright in contrast for viewing. The other modes are less like that with Standard being the most normal looking and having the least amount of contrast and saturation.

Other people's TVs may be adjusted quite differently than what your TV looks like. Several years ago, I popped one of my shows into my brother-in-law's DVD player and hit play. They mostly used their TV for their kids video game playing or for watching animated videos. The saturation was turned up so high that when it came to viewing people on the screen, the skin tones were awful and unnatural looking.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Kathbc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks Deb will give that a try.

The Geek Squad at Best Buy seems to think it might be my DVD player. Honestly it's only 5 or 6 years old and already is a dud??!! It's hard keeping up! :lol:

Postby debngar » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:15 pm

I would also try a web search for oversaturated DVD playback and see what information you can glean from those results - couldn't hurt.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Kathbc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 pm

I may have over done it with the auto adjustments on the slides since I had already edited the photos in Picasa.

So I went back and un adjusted quite a few especially the ones with lots of gold/orange as that's the colour that really got oversaturated and it looks a lot better! Still not the quality of the pics in Picasa but it's a fair trade off for all the jazzy slide styles & transitions I get with PSG!

Thanks again for your help Deb!

Postby dvdeater » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I guess the reason for " Still not the quality of the pics in Picasa ..." is that the Color Gamut of your TV monitor is narrower than that of your computer.
Solution for DVD backup.

Postby Kathbc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 pm

That could be the case as the TV is older than the computer. It also could be the DVD player which is about 6 years old.

Played the DVD in a blu ray player and it looked better than my DVD at home or maybe there again the TV monitor was better.

My photos look crisper in Picasa than they do anywhere in PSG and hopefully one day they might be the same in both.

Thanks for making me learn what colour gamut is or kinda anyway. :wink:

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting