DVD Video clip into Pro-Show

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

DVD Video clip into Pro-Show

Postby GramRfone » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:16 am

Have been given a DVD on which are several identical clips: only one of which I would like to insert into Pro-Show Gold. If I open up the disc to view the folders there 8 in number: 4 of which are marked Audio_TS and all show empty. The other four are each marked Video_TS and show a size of 555MB. FILES: VIDEO_TS.BUP,VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01.BUP,...

So I have two questions.

I can see the Compact Disc in the folders list of the show that I want to insert one of the clips into, but right clicking on it does not reveal any of the contents. How can I reveal the contents?

(2) Once revealed do I have to convert the one I want to ( for instance MPEG 2 or AVI ) to then drag and drop them into the time line. Or is it not possible at all via this route?

Thank you in advance.

Re: DVD Video clip into Pro-Show

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 am

GramRfone wrote:Have been given a DVD on which are several identical clips: only one of which I would like to insert into Pro-Show Gold. If I open up the disc to view the folders there 8 in number: 4 of which are marked Audio_TS and all show empty. The other four are each marked Video_TS and show a size of 555MB. FILES: VIDEO_TS.BUP,VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01.BUP,...
Thank you in advance.

You didn't mention the most important extension ! :D
You also have files like: VIDEO_TS.VOB and something like VTS_01_1.VOB
These are the actual video files.

Some media players can open the vob files and let you watch them, so that you may select the one you want. If your media player can't do this, then copy the files to your computer.
Normally, ProShow can insert vob files.
If on your computer this is not possible, then rename those files. Change the extension from .vob to mpeg. You will now be able to watch them in a media player, and also to insert them in ProShow.

Postby heckydog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:47 am

The only files you are interested in are the ones ending in VOB. For your purposes, there's no way to tell what is in each VOB file except to play it. You can use Windows Media Player to view them if there's more than one VOB file. Typically, a VOB file would be about 1GB in size but that can vary depending on what program created the dvd. If the VOB file(s) is 555MB that would indicate it's about 10 minutes long.

If you only need a snippet from the video I would suggest editing the video in a video editor. I would also suggest that you copy the file from the dvd to your hard drive first. Then you can also change the extension from VOB to MPG, which is what the file actually is.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Joe and Mona are on the right track. You may find this helpful for future reference (note especially about 1/2 way down where it describes he files on a DVD)
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby GramRfone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks to all of you. Did as Cherub suggested and changed the file to MPEG. Inserted OK. The link to the videohelp file printed out and filed for future reference. :D

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting