PSG and opening a show

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Honorary ProShow PHD

PSG and opening a show

Postby Penny47 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 pm

I have just been trying to open my PSG to work on a show and I do what I usually do and that is I open PSG then click on "Open" (which then brings up the shows I have) well now it won't do that it just sits and looks at me. The only way I can open a show is to go to the folder where I keep all my PSG shows and open it from there. Anyone know why this is now happening. I have PSG 5.3310 and have jut re installed it and that has not helped.

Cheers Penny

Re: PSG and opening a show

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:57 am

Have you tried deleting the PHD file from the program's root folder? It could just be a corrupted database. It "might" be a corrupted CFG file too (but it's not as likely).

It's worth a try. Or, you might reinstall the program over the original installation to repair any "corrupt" files. I'd try the PHD route first tho.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 am

Penny, it appears you already tried what Dale suggested with the reinstallation, so the only thing I can think of is the possibility that you installed over the top of the installation you already had, which may not have corrected the problem. If deleting the .phd and .cfg files in the program folder doesn't help, and assuming you didn't do a "clean" install, try uninstalling Gold first before reinstalling it. I'm sending you good karma in case it helps. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 am

I'm bad ... that's the problem with responding before the first cup of coffee and actually waking up... :?

So, yeah, I'd go with the clean installation too. That may be the only way to fix it. I should have added that as my last and final step in the previous post.

ALSO: turn OFF the anti-virus program before installing the program in a NEW folder.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:46 am

im42n8 wrote: in a NEW folder.
Dale

Penny... be aware that if installed in a different folder, the path to some of your show content may not be recognized and might present a message that the content is missing in some of your slides. This isn't to scare you but just a heads up. You may have to point the program to the new folder/path in that case, where it can find the content. Once you do that, do a collect file procedure for that show so everything will be housed in one place, in a specific show folder. If it doesn't give you that missing file message, count your blessings.
:) Good luck!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 am

Heck, I'd just uninstall the broken version completely, given that it doesn't mess with any shows you've created. They'll all still be there. That's what I did when Producer became a criminal. I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it to the same folder where it had been before I killed it.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 am

I agree. Uninstalling then re-installing to the same folder/path might be the best choice. That way there is no forgetting as to which folder the working program is using.

Also good to not turn the anti virus stuff back on until after first reopening the program. This is a recommended tip from Photodex that seems to have helped me in the past.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions I will give it a try but before I do I need to ask one more question. When I uninstall PSG do I have to download it again or can I use the one I already have downloaded and have in what I call my Downloaded programs. If I have to download it again, they wont ask me to pay again will they :-)

Penny

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Just use the download copy you have. Just in case, have your registration number handy. You may not need it (it should still be in the registry). Still, good idea to have it near by.

But, you can install it to a DIFFERENT folder right now without uninstalling the original installation. I wouldn't worry about the shows you've already created. The path to their content is relative to the show itself, NOT to the program itself. Generally, The only such content that might be not found are those elements you used in the show that came from a program folder.

Dale

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks Dale I am going to give it a go. One other thing before I go off, do I need to clear .phd and.cfg files before I do the new installation?

Sorry about all the questions, I am not all that good with Pc's and programs. :-)

Penny

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:22 pm

One other thing before I go off, do I need to clear .phd and.cfg files before I do the new installation?

No, you can leave them as is. They're automatically generated when you install and then open ProShow.

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:29 pm

OK thanks, just as a matter of interest I thought I would check them out just in case I had to delete them and they re not there there is nothing there like it :) So I shall go and download and re install the program and see what happens.

Penny

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 pm

THANK YOU ALL it is working again. Now I can get on with things. Ii shall try and remember to just delete and re install when things go wrong again as I am sure they will :-) Now I must go out while the sun is out and then come home and play on my PSG again.

Thanks again

Penny

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Penny, the good karma I sent must have worked! :D

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:32 pm

It sure did Barbara thanks for that :-)

Penny

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting