Colour Space in Produced mpg show

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

Colour Space in Produced mpg show

Postby RoseW » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't see a specific reference to the 'colour space' embedded into a Proshow Gold Computer custom show (mpeg 2)
Is it assumed that it is sRGB or does the producing routine take on the colour profile embedded in the image used?

A new Win8 laptop was used in a recent presentation and I didn't take the time and aggravation to calibrate this laptop so I set it to be sRGB and the projector also to be in sRGB colour space. The images actually were exported from Lightroom with Adobe RGB 8bit colour space but everything looked fine.
I just read a linked article about 'managing colour using Proshow but it references Producer as having a preference to choose.
Since there isn't any mention of colour space in Gold I wondered if it is default of sRGB even if doing a custom mpg production.

I have since calibrated the laptop and have a profile in place for the projector but the bright reds are not the same as viewed on the desktop when the mpg show is run through the projector from this laptop with a similar ATI video card.
I redid the show with a higher bitrate and frame rate which generally improved conditions...smoothness of text panning across for one thing...
I'm wondering if I should just export the image with sRGB to be used in Proshow...if that is what is being used within the software.
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: Colour Space in Produced mpg show

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 am

Yeah, you're right. Gold doesn't tell you if it even uses a color space at all. Like you, I would assume Gold uses sRGB because most devices are compatible with that. Producer has quite a few color spaces to choose from.

If you export any image for use in Gold, I'd export using a the default color space that Gold uses, that is, sRGB. Any other color space and you'll probably end up with a lack of proper saturation. ProShow isn't going to convert the image color space for you. It's going to use what's in the image within the default color space (resulting in the saturation problem).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for your input.
What is a little odd is that the reds and some variations of blue with mauve tones appear fine on my calibrated desktop widescreen monitor when using the producer playback mode.
Initially I wasn't including the exif data in the exported jpg but later changed that to have it be included. But if the gold version isn't 'reading' or considering that info, including color management profile then it likely doesn't matter.

Perhaps the step of saving as mpg2 within producer gold ignores colour space....

At any rate its an important factor for me since I'm doing 15 min to 30 min presentations to horticultural groups and the colour accuracy of bloom portaits needs to be close ( I think <grin>)
I know that red and some yellow tones are difficult -to photograph, to print and now I'm discovering the replication in a slideshow sort of fits into the same 'trouble zone'.

Likely this is a query I need to be putting directly to the 'team' of Proshow before acting on moving up to Producer<grin>

Thanks again.
Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

Well, I'm just making an educated guess. AdobeRGB has 40% larger color gamut than sRGB. So, some substitutions have to be made when importing AdobeRGB images into sRGB. The result is often a washout appearance. The colors aren't quite as vibrant. To avoid that problem, you should convert the images to sRGB first before importing into Gold.

You could ask Photodex directly. They could tell you specifically what happens when you import a non-sRGB image into Gold. It might be that during the act of importing, ProShow makes the conversion to sRGB if it detects a color space other than what it expects. I doubt it tho.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:31 pm

I contacted Proshow via the online form and received an answer
Jared Patterson said:
'Proshow always uses sRGB no matter what color profile is used. I would indeed suggest using sRGB with your images'
' Producer doesn't recognize any color profile in any image or video but you can set the color profile in the output with most output formats in Producer.'

I wonder what the choices are for 'setting the color profile in the output format' ....?

At any rate I returned and tested some of the images that were irritating and decided to export an 8bit tif....
huge file BUT a closer colour rendition. So I replaced the images that had red content with the tif files.

The overall file size doesn't matter since the only place its going is to a laptop harddrive whose purpose in life is for carting around and providing the source for these group presentations.

I was poised to download and purchase Producer hoping it had colour management but that would be a totally additional learning curve from what I can see and still have to fiddle with how I'm exporting the images..
But better to know than to continue stumbling on or avoiding red and yellows <grin>
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:56 pm

You can use Producer just like Gold if you want. However, there ARE a lot more options to give you control over your images in a way that Gold CANNOT come close to. While there is a learning curve involved with learning all of the ins-and-outs of the program, it's not as steep as you might think if you're putting together a simple show. It's that simple at its basic level. Photodex has strived hard to make the program simple to use and learn to use. Its output options are more varied. Gold is REALLY constrained as to what can do with it ...

Gold is a good program but it is very limited in what it can do.

In the long run, however, you have considerable control over your show ... and the number of effects to help you with that control are considerably larger as well.

Dale

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting