Moving files with show

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Moving files with show

Postby vsairs » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm new to ProShow and am trying to open a show someone else created for us. She sent me the cache file, which didn't open, and then sent the .psh file, which opened but has nothing but missing files (a lot of them). I'm assuming I need to get the original files, which I would have thought would be in the cache file (.pxc), but I can't get to them. Thoughts on what we should do? Is there a way for me to reconnect the missing files (once I get them) without having to do it file by file? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Re: Moving files with show

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:14 pm

No, while the cache does have lots of stuff in it, it is not in a format we can use. You need the original files. Depending on how the original show was created, locating the original files (even if they give them to you) can be an issue. If you look in the .psh file (it is actually just a text file and you can open it with notepad etc), you will see the path to the various "image" files. If they do it the way I do with the image files located in subfolders under where the show file (.psh) is, the links are relative and you can just get a copy of their subfolders. If they do it the way some folks do, those original files may have been located in 1 or more places around on their system making your job harder. There is a way to "collect show files" that allows them to provide you with a collection that includes all the source files as well as the .psh file with the links modified to point to the "collected" files. Assuming you are talking Proshow Gold here (you posted in the "Gold" section), see page 93 of the version 5 of the pdf manual for Gold for a description of "Collect Show Files". You can grab a copy of the manual if you don't have it here:
http://files.photodex.com/docs/manuals/ProShowGold5.pdf

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting