ProShow Gold 5 Missing File Errors - STRESSING OUT!

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

ProShow Gold 5 Missing File Errors - STRESSING OUT!

Postby zukini98 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:55 am

Hello,

I received a "Missing File" message box when I attempted to open several shows I created in ProShow Gold 5 yesterday. I don't recall moving any of the file locations, so I am confused about the error. I've been creating my larger show in smaller segments and was successful in creating 3 segments, but when I began work on the fourth segment things started to fail, including the original segments that were functioning correctly before. All of my shows having missing file errors. I'm working on a Dell laptop using Windows 8, ProShow v. 5.0.3310.

When I try to search from the ProShow missing file message box, the files cannot be found; however, if I key in the file string from each message into the search box the file can be found, but when I attempt to OPEN the file I receive a second error message about file type not supported. I have a 50th anniversary show that I must have completed by Thursday so I'm really upset that my shows are not functioning correctly. If anyone could give me some direction about the following I would be extremely grateful:

1) "Safe" file structure for saving shows and photos - what works best?
2) How do I resolve the "missing files" and "file type not supported" errors for existing shows? A step by step explanation would be VERY helpful.
3) Any other words of wisdom for creating my first show on DVD.

I'm a newbie to ProShow so hopefully folks will be gentle with me:)

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne

Re: ProShow Gold 5 Missing File Errors - STRESSING OUT!

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Welcome - sorry for finding yourself going over the waterfall :D Here is a list of supported file types from Photodex:
http://kb.photodex.com/197/what-file-ty ... r-support/
In general, jpgs are safe and in most cases png files (we have found some issues in the past with transparency in png files, but I have not played with that recently. What format are the files in that you are working with ? I don't know if it is still an issue, but there have been issues in the past for files located across the network or sometimes on portable drives if I remember correctly (all of mine are local to my machine, so I don't run into those issues).

Also, what version of gold are you running? You indicate version 5, but don't say which build it is (the latest is 5.0.3310)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby zukini98 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Mikey,

Thanks for the information. I rec'd a response from Photodex and found out it was a cache issue. Here is the information they provided -which worked like a charm.

If everything is already local, lets try deleting the programs cache files...

1) Right-Click the icon you usually use to launch the application.
2) Click "Properties".
3) Look for a button called “Find Target…” or “Open File Location” which takes you to the program files.
4) Please locate a file in this window called "proshow.phd" and delete it. Do the same for "proshow.cfg"
5) Now try again.

If that worked, right-click on the ProShow icon on your desktop, go to "Properties", choose the "Compatibility" tab, check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and set it to "Windows XP Service Pack 3".

Thanks for the link - I will definitely hold onto it.

Suzanne

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Ah good. Every now and then, Proshow seems to get confused and you have to kill those two files. I have not run into it myself, but have seen a number of folks here where that has fixed the issue for them. Glad you are up and running again !!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:47 pm

I wonder why they write this:
If that worked, right-click on the ProShow icon on your desktop, go to "Properties", choose the "Compatibility" tab, check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and set it to "Windows XP Service Pack 3".

Is it somehow an issue of Win8 on laptops, or what?

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting