File tree refresh

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

File tree refresh

Postby RoseW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 am

Is there a particular action to take for the PSG file list to update and reflect the actual contents?

For a short show (1 min 50 sec) I decided to add an additional image which was exported into the folder. The only way I could get to view that file was save and shut down PSG then I could add the image.

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: File tree refresh

Postby DickK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Simple answer is if there's one thing that always works, I don't know it and if anyone else here knows, they're keepin' quiet. :(

This has been an issue since way back and it's still a bother. Sometimes if you just navigate away from the folder and back it refreshes, sometimes if you click on the + to open/close the folder it works, sometimes saving/closing reopening the show works, and in an extreme case I resorted to shutting down PSG and deleting the program cache file. Anyway, it's not just you but unfortunately I don't know any magic trick here but if you stumble across something that always works we'll all be glad to hear about it. :o

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:34 am

Hmm...I've never had closing and reopening a folder fail on me. Why would I be lucky and others not? System-related, perhaps?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 am

To get a folder to refresh after adding a new file, be it be an image file, audio file, whatever, I use the same method Barbara does, to click/close and click/reopen the folder where that newly added file resides, while ProShow is still open and even while the show is still open. The files seem to always refresh ok for me using that method. I can't remember when/if that method has ever failed for me.

If you tried that and it didn't work, I can't imagine what might have caused that method to fail in that case. :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm

"...If you tried that and it didn't work, I can't imagine what might have caused that method to fail in that case..."

That worked most of the time--maybe all the time now, in fact I can't remember it being an issue recently. But I've had it stubbornly, persistently and frustratingly fail in the past and I seem to remember others saying the same thing. Never saw "rhyme nor reason" to it though. :?

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm

This 'no image present' issue only happened the once....on this last 'last minute' project.
The software has been put through its paces steadily this past month and included added additional files to the existing list. This included me renaming an image while in Windows explorer and then exporting the original name again. There wasn't a hiccup.
If I open a show the last show is still in the tree list and going to the correct folder brings the files into view so I did try clicking on other folders with this one that just wouldn't.
I thought it rather odd that there wasn't a refresh if I left the actual folder....but...I'm not sure if just going to another folder and clicking on it is the same as the two descriptions here of 'click and close'...
I'll watch and be aware of that next time.

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby dcastigl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:24 pm

I am having the same problem... If during the creation of a show, I happen to add (with PSP open) more images to my folder, the file-list, no matter if it's set to thumbnail view or detail, doesn't show the recently added files (in this case images) I found no way yet to simly refresh this file list (even the old known F5 doesn't work). It only shows the new images after closing and reopening Proshow, which is not the most elegant way in the world. Especially with a large show I consider this as a waste of time...

b.t.w. I am talking about version ProShow Producer 5.0.3310 (will get 6 soon...)

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:22 am

dcastigl wrote:I am having the same problem... If during the creation of a show, I happen to add (with PSP open) more images to my folder, the file-list, no matter if it's set to thumbnail view or detail, doesn't show the recently added files (in this case images) I found no way yet to simly refresh this file list (even the old known F5 doesn't work). It only shows the new images after closing and reopening Proshow, which is not the most elegant way in the world. Especially with a large show I consider this as a waste of time...

b.t.w. I am talking about version ProShow Producer 5.0.3310 (will get 6 soon...)

Close the sub-folder in your file list, click on the folder it's in, then reopen the sub-folder. Make sure you first close that sub-folder because ProShow will otherwise retain the list it had originally! The thing to remember is that ProShow doesn't use Windows Explorer for its file list. Explorer automatically refreshes; ProShow doesn't. Annoying to be sure.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting