How to replace layers in a 1 layer slide style?

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

How to replace layers in a 1 layer slide style?

Postby Redcrown » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 pm

I find a slide style I like, "Simple Tilt and Zoom" for example. But it's a "one layer' style, so it uses the same single image for all layers of the slide. I'd like to replace the layers with 3 different images. How can I do that. Seems like a simple task, but I can't find a solution.

The extra layers of the "styled" slide are tagged as duplicates. If I drag and drop a new image into one of the duplicate layers, it replaces all copies. Seems I need to convert the layer to NOT be a duplicate, but I can't find a way to do that.

Failing that, it would be nice if I could simply create a new slide with the 3 different images I want and then copy the effects of each layer from a "styled' slide to the corresponding layer of the new slide. And I mean copy everything - all pan, zoom, tilt, and rotate settings for both the starting and ending positions. I find a dozen "copy" commands but I can't find one that does that.

The only way I can see to do this is to manually copy all motion effect settings from the styled slide to the new slide. That would be 8 values for 2 positions on 3 layers, a total of 48 numbers to manually enter.

Is there an easier way?

Re: How to replace layers in a 1 layer slide style?

Postby cherub » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 am

Here is a simple way to do this:
Apply the style 3 times in 3 different slides. In each slide insert a different picture.
Then start deleting layers:
In slide 1, delete layers 2 and 3 and the background. In slide 2, delete layers 1 and 3 and the background. In slide 3, delete layers 1 and 2.
Now you have 3 slides, each with a picture, in different positions: center, left and right
Your final step is to combine these three slides.
In your slide list, select the three slides, RIGHT click, and from the pop-up menu choose :Combine Slides.
Voila ! you've created a new slide with all the three layers, and in each layer you have a different picture. If your background got mixed up somehow, drag it to the bottom of your slide.

Hope this helps :D

Postby Redcrown » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:49 am

Thank you, Mona. That trick worked well and I was able to create a custom style from the result, so now it's easy to apply to future work.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Mona -- when I read the post, my immediate thought was that there was no way to do that, at least not directly. But once again limitation is much more about the user (me) than PSG. :D Very clever approach--nice!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby cherub » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Redcrown.

I'm happy that this method worked for you.

Dick,

Glad that you liked my approach :D
When I read this post, my only concern was to check if Gold has the functions of "paste into" and "combine slides".
I was very releaved to see that it did.
These two functions are very powerful, and can be used in a variety of ways, and I'm happy that they were not left out in Gold.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 am

I don't think I've ever used the combine slides function and would never have thought of that approach. Just shows there's always something else that we can learn to do with PSG. I need to play with that so I don't overlook something I might want for one my own future shows.
Thanks,
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting