Crashes when creating blu-ray ISO file

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Crashes when creating blu-ray ISO file

Postby GordonHarris » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 am

I'm trying to create my first blu-ray ISO file, and PSG has twice crashed in the last minute or so of the process. It renders each of the 9 shows, in around 40 minutes, then displays each of the 3 menu pages, then crashes.

More details: PSG 5.0.3280. The shows together amount to 90 minutes. I had no problems creating a DVD ISO file. My desired blu-ray ISO file will be about 18GB according to PSG. Settings are Blu-ray 1920x1080 Progressive, framerate 24fps, Quality=High Quality (25Mbps), Video Clip Quality = High Quality. Rendering of the shows has no obvious problems. But once the final show is rendered, while the rendering mini-screen displays each of the 3 menu pages in turn, the main PSG screen shows "Loading [show9].psh." Then the main screen shows "Loading [show2].psh" then "Loading [show3].psh" and so on up to Show8, at which point I get a Windows message saying ProShow has stopped working.
After the 1st failed attempt, I deleted the 'psdata' folders for all the shows.
My PC: Win 7 64-bit, i5-3570@3.40GHz quad processors, NVidia GeForce GT 520 graphics card, 1.5TB free space on hard drive. Internet router and anti-virus are off while PSG is running.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions on what to try next.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Crashes when creating blu-ray ISO file

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:43 pm

I'd try an experiment building an ISO with just the first show in it and then one with just the last one. From the description it's hard to know what might be happening but something as it closes out the ISO is failing and trying a few things to see if it can successfully make one with any of the shows might be a place to start.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby GordonHarris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 am

Thanks, Dick. Here's the results of my experiments.
This time, rather than deleting the previous 'psdata' folders, I retained them - with one exception. With this approach, the stages of blu-ray ISO creation appear to be:
(1) PSG reports 'Processing video' for each show and then loads the next show's .psh file
(2) it then prepares the menu screen, loading the final show's .psh file at each menu page
(3) then reloads each show's .psh file in turn
(4) then creates the disc image.
I first created an ISO with shows 1 to 3. Then an ISO with shows 7 to 9 - no problems so far.
Then I tried all 9 shows - as yesterday, PSG crashed at stage 3, when reloading show 8. This is exactly the same point as yesterday's 2 crashes.
So I recreated the .psh file for show 8, with minor changes to the original. An ISO file with only show 8 created OK, and gave me a new 'psdata' folder.
Tried again with all 9 shows: crashed at same point as before.
Tried a new compilation with only 7 shows, to see if the problem was associated with the number of shows. I used shows 1-4, 7, 8 and 9. This time it crashed at stage 3, though on show 9 - here, the last of seven - rather than show 8.
Maybe I should abandon PSG for ISO creation and render each PSG show as a video file I can import into DVD Architect and use DVDA to create the ISO.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:28 am

Have you checked if you are running into a Gb size limitation? Just a stab in the dark, never tried to create a BR disc.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby GordonHarris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 am

Brian,
PSG predicts the size of the complete blu-ray compilation to be 18GB for the 9 shows, so size should not be a problem.
I've done 2 more trials: PSG has created an ISO with the first 4 shows; but when I tried the first 5, it crashed at stage3 again, when the main screen showed that reloading of the final show was 100% complete - ie just as PSG was about to move on to stage 4.

Postby GordonHarris » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 am

Brian,
I may have misunderstood your point about size limitation. As ISO creation succeeds with 4 shows but fails with 5 - and each of the 9 shows can be included in a successful ISO if I do it as 3 separate ISOs for shows 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9 - it's looking like a resources issue. 4 shows total around 8GB, 5 shows around 10GB.
My RAM is 8GB. Virtual memory was set to 8GB during my early attempts; increasing this to 12GB makes no difference. I can't find a clear statement on the Photodex website re how much RAM is needed for blu-ray creation - it just says more (than 4GB) is recommended.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 am

Gordon

I was thinking more on exceeding the single layer capacity of a BR disc 25GB, rather than a computer hardware size limit. Although the 'capacity' indicator of Proshow gives a size I don't believe this is very precise and I thought you may have been running out of physical disc capacity.

I would have thought that RAM size would not have been a physical limit as the ISO would be written to harddisc.

I have never dabbled with BR so have no actual experience of this.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby GordonHarris » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 am

Problem solved.
The helpful folk at Photodex support suggested the menu might be the source of the problem. They were right. My customised menu must have got corrupted somehow - when the number of shows meant that more than 1 menu page was needed, PSG crashed. With a default menu, ISO creation is OK. And with a new customised menu, I've rendered 3 blu-ray ISOs successfully - with 9, 10 and 14 shows.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting