insert music track via drag and drop

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

insert music track via drag and drop

Postby RoseW » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Two copies of the track result if I use the drag and drop/ insert under the slide in the timeline. This means the second track needs to deleted (carefully) Usually the whole thing is removed and start over is required.
If the upper menu words are used then the music tracks inserts exactly and the green indicator displays the numeral 1
Initially I couldn't translate what the numeral 2 meant beside the music file; then I discovered the change in colour of the music track...hmmm....repeat. How did I do that?

Perhaps I'm not dragging and dropping smoothly or releasing the mouse button too late or too soon.
Its a consistent pattern at any rate.
Since the menu works I got the show put together but I wondered if there was a special trick for using the mouse.

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: insert music track via drag and drop

Postby DickK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 pm

I don't know how you're ending up with two copies on the soundtrack line -- I tried several things and couldn't get that result when it wasn't expected. If I had selected two audio files in the file list and then drag/dropped which (correctly) brought both into the show but not two copies of one file.

Initially I couldn't translate what the numeral 2 meant beside the music file; then I discovered the change in colour of the music track...hmmm....repeat. How did I do that?

Don't know where you're seeing the "two" but it's normal on the soundtrack line for each audio item to pick up a different color so you can more easily see both where each starts and stops and visually identify which is in effect while working with the images. When looking at the Timeline track if you hover the mouse over the audio you should then see labels showing the numeric order of the items and the actual file name.

Glad you were able to work around whatever was causing the issue though.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: 'Don't know where you're seeing the "two" '

In the Music folder the actual file has a little green box beside the chosen item. Its like a cartoon quote/comment in its style. The number 2 is in the middle of this little 'quote icon' If the music has landed correctly a white number one is in that box.
This little box appears beside the music file reference whether its menu command or drag and drop.
This list of music files is not appearing as a text list but as 'icons'...sort of a square and the little green box will attach to the upper right.
I didn't copy these music files into the actual folder that holds the images and proshow backups, files. I grabbed them from a music folder on a separate drive.
Perhaps it would be better to have a copy of the music as a subfolder in the actual show folder.
At any rate there is a 22 minute presentation with rolling credits and matching music completed <grin>
Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Completed is what counts! 8)

Okay now I know where you're seeing the 'two' but I still can't get PSG to behave like that. Not doubting your experience, just can't duplicate it. Those are the frustrating ones -- but I'll be looking for it in the future.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I have never run into that problem in Producer before. Are you dragging from the window in Proshow or from a windows explorer window ? What version of Gold are you running and what version of windows ? I usually use the drag/drop from the window in Proshow to the timeline but have never experienced your issue (although I have managed to create some others :shock: ) - just did a quick test again and it only showed up once on the timeline and showed "1" in the "used" column.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am

gpsmikey wrote:I have never run into that problem in Producer before. Are you dragging from the window in Proshow or from a windows explorer window ? What version of Gold are you running and what version of windows ? I usually use the drag/drop from the window in Proshow to the timeline but have never experienced your issue (although I have managed to create some others :shock: ) - just did a quick test again and it only showed up once on the timeline and showed "1" in the "used" column.

mikey

-Windows 7 professional 64 bit, (AMD 8 core, 16Ram, aTI Radeon 1G memory, 7200rpm HDs and I installed the 32bit helper dll for 32 bit software memory limitation)
-dragging from within Proshow using the 'tree' in the upper left box beside Preview.
-click on the music file, hold left mouse down, drag to the timeline position, lift key....
The first music file responded with a #1. It was successive files that took on the duplication. It wasn't until the third music file that I realized the #2 did not mean second file.
Perhaps I unknowingly clicked twice while picking the music file. Using the menu command inserted better than I was doing with drag and drop anyway.
In case I didn't get this solved I sleuthed out a music joiner to put three 1.50 min. guitar pieces together as one file. Its more efficient to drag ONE rather than the three little pieces is my thought.
Since I prepared the images before they went into the proshow project folder (various techniques and cropping) it isn't out of order to prepare the music files before they get inserted. More time can be put on transitions and styles I figure.
The tutorial for the floating credits gave a terrific, polished finishing result.
Its been agreed with the organizer of the group to view this slideshow that under a half hour is the timing so at default settings its now 22 minutes which gives me 'times' to stretch some effects on individual slides. I have enough music to accommodate this 'expanding time'.
The link either here or in the tutorials to the Vimeo music was a good resource plus I learned how to 'rip' specific pieces I wanted off my own cds <LOL!>
Its been a video immersion for the past few days

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 pm

OK, I just tried doing it as you suggested - dropped a bunch of images on the timeline, then dragged/dropped 6 different wav files to the soundtrack. All were added as expected with no duplicates. I am also running win7/64 (intel), but don't have the "32 bit helper app" installed. I would not expect that to be an issue, but who knows. I am using the latest version ( 5.0.3297 ) version of producer although I have not heard of this issue before (at least not that I remember). Do you have any other apps that seem to have any issues with drag/drop files ? The only time I have run into duplicate files issues was in Outlook when I discovered a (not so) clever trick -- select a bunch of messages to move to another folder for example then as you start to drag them, release the mouse before you get to the other folder. congratulations, you just duplicated all the selected messages :evil: You might want to also touch bases with Photodex support and see if they have any ideas - they are usually pretty good about getting back to people.

[edit] for what it's worth, I just tried it with the sound files in "thumbnail view" (normally I use "detail view") with no change - still acted as expected.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Mikey -- matches my experience as well. I tried a bunch of abnormal kinds of things with drag/drop and could never get that behavior. <shrug> I ran out of things to try -- obviously we're not as clever as she is in discovering a new feature ;)
Dick

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Yeah, unfortunately, unless I have heard of it before or can create it myself, I can't be of a lot of help.

mikey

Postby jlwilm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:12 am

I frequently run into exactly the same problem with drag and drop with Producer 4 on my WinXP and Win7 systems.

Happens so often, I always click on the Music Icon item to review what is in the show and use it to delete the extra tracks that frequently (but not always) get included.

I just did a test and again, 2 tracks and whats more Producer seems to recognize that it has done the deed twice, as if I do an Edit, Undo - 1 track disappears. Another Edit, Undo deletes the now single copy.

Suppose I could always use the Music Icon item, but drag and drop is always the first move.
John

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 am

For almost 2 years ago I've had the same problem with drag and drop.
I've looked for a few options to solve this.

Finally I removed ProShow and installed it again.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:39 am

OK, after talking to Photodex support, there is one way to recreate the problem - if you select the first sound file and drop it on the main track then hold down ctrl+click the next one and drag it (which leaves the first one still selected), you then end up with a duplicate of the first one plus the second one on the sound track. Any chance you are using the control key in addition to the click-drag to get the files on the timeline ?

mikey

Postby jlwilm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am

mikey,

No, just doing a single left click and drag of 1 mp3 file to the Soundtrack, 2 files show up and 2 undo's available from the Edit, Undo menu.

Left click and drag another and I have 4 files, etc.
John

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Hmmm - very odd. Just shooting in the dark here - can you get the same behavior with wav files ? (you indicated mp3).

mikey

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Mikey -- you just triggered a thought. On my old XP machine every once in awhile the machine would suddenly start behaving like I had the CONTROL key pressed constantly -- kinda like the caps lock key. (Same keyboard is on this Win7 machine and it never happened so far.) I could never figure out what was causing it but I could turn it off -- now I'm not recalling exactly how but it involved hitting the control key a few times and maybe with the SHIFT key or something. I can't see how that would be related here but as long as we're grasping at straws...

Dick

Next

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting