proshow dvd with an exe file

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

proshow dvd with an exe file

Postby pw2879 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:21 pm

I would like to share my Proshow video that I have saved on my computer, but it is an .exe file. I was going to share it on Vimeo but it has to be a video file. Any suggestions on how I can convert it? thanks!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: proshow dvd with an exe file

Postby DickK » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. The EXE can't be converted to anything. If you want another format of output then you'll just need to reload the show into ProShow and create a video file for output instead of the EXE.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:19 pm

As Dick indicated - if you still have the original show source, you just select a different option under "Publish" and create a video file instead. If all you have is an exe (the original source is gone), you can get there, but it is typically not a trivial task - what you would need to do is capture the video out of the computer playing the .exe to some other device (like a camcorder etc) that understands that video format. Once you did that, then the video could be converted to another format if needed or edited in a video editor. It is possible (there are a number of utilities out there) to also capture your screen to a video file. The best answer though is if you have the original source, just build a different format output during "Publish". (note that not all "screen capture" utilities can capture video from a window if you are looking into that route). I am not aware of any way to go directly from an exe to a video format without doing some sort of capture.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby pw2879 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 am

thank you for your replies...unfortunately, I do not have the original source anymore. It had been on another computer a few years back and that computer crashed where I lost alot of photos and movies...lesson learned for sure. The dvd that I burned shows a file extension with exe on it, so guess I'm sunk! Thanks anyway!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 am

Not completely. As Mikey alludes to, it is possible to use software to capture the video stream from the EXE and write that back out in another format. Look for a package that can capture what's on the screen and create a video stream from that. It won't be perfect but it might be better than nothing.
Dick

Postby pw2879 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks! Will definitely research that! I appreciate your comments!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting