Show import fails due to PSG video file hang

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Show import fails due to PSG video file hang

Postby floridahikes » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi, all. I'm beyond frustrated with this problem. I'm giving a major presentation on Thursday and put my show together today in PSG 5.0.3256. All looked well. I set it up to render to an executable while making dinner. Came back to find it had failed and the program locked up.

When I tried to reload the show, it will open every single piece of my content, no problem - and there are 700+ slides plus about 10 audio tracks. Where it fails is on a piece of PSG content. The software hangs on this message at 96% completion:

Importing video file C:\ProgramData\Photodex\Proshow\Transitions\Cache\Sparkle\Sparkle_3-2500

I've used the Sparkle transition in several places in the show.

I'm on Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I've created other shows with this version of PSG and no problems other than hangs on render (which are annoying) - this is the first time I simply can't open a saved show.

I've tried removing the video file, uninstall and reinstall of this version, installing the new PSG 5.0.3296, rebooting numerous times, using another suggestion from this forum to uncheck a box regards the way video is imported ... and the same EXACT thing happens on every try - my show will not open, I get "Not Responding" from ProShow Gold.

Any and all suggestions, please! I don't have the time to redo my entire show and have less than 48 hours to be able to use my show. Thank you.

Re: Show import fails due to PSG video file hang

Postby cherub » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 pm

The error about the faulty transition may be related to the recent clock change and the fact that ProShow needs to go through the process of caching the transitions again.
The re-caching problem happens also after a new install, as you said that you did.

I'm just guessing here, but try the following, and see what happens.

Open a new show and insert a blank slide.
Press on the A/B transition as if you want to change it.
Wait until ProShow recaches the transitions.

Now, open your show again, and try to create your executive. Please let us know if this helped.

Postby floridahikes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:40 am

Thank you, but no luck. I tried that last night after posting and reading other ideas on this forum. I just tried it again, this time inserting the sparkle as the transition after the blank slide. That forced a reload of sparkle.wmv into the program - I watched it happen - but my show still hangs when importing that specific video file from the cache. It makes no sense. I took a look inside the directory

ProgramData/Photodex/ProShow/Transitions/Cache

And nothing has changed, date-stamp wise, with any of the transitions inside of it since the initial install of the software back in July. However, a new resources-xx.xxx-x.pxc and transitioncache-xx-xx-xx.dat file were created when I created the blank slide and mock transition.

I'm going to try one more thing - do a complete uninstall of the software, including chasing down any files like this, and install the new version cleanly instead of as an upgrade. Right now I'm on the old version, but when I installed the upgrade the dates on the transition files still dated back to July.

After that, I'm stumped and have spent about 6 hours trying to open my file - I probably could have built a new show in the time this has taken. But I'm panicked, as I'm giving this as a public presentation tomorrow.

Postby cherub » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:11 am

So now you are saying that you cannot open your show, at all?
I thought that the program was just having problems in making an exe file out of your show because of that specific transition.

Have you tried the other troubleshooting methods that are suggested in this forum?
Delete the cache of the show (a rather large file with your show name and the extension pxc)
and
Delete the files proshow.cfg and proshow.phd from the program directory

Postby floridahikes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 am

That did the trick - removing those old files from ProgramData for Photodex took care of whatever was corrupted in the cache. Thanks for your help!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting