Uploaded video did not include backgrounds

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Uploaded video did not include backgrounds

Postby Nonie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi there, I'm relatively new to ProShow Gold. I made a slideshow of my daughter's wedding and uploaded it to Youtube. The background came through as solid gray instead of the light picture I had chosen. Any ideas? Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb2UwIDttqA&fmt=18

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Uploaded video did not include backgrounds

Postby DickK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Can't think of any reason that would happen nor have I heard others with that issue. This might be somehow unique to the YouTube format, suggest you try making another type of output -- a video file or an EXE output and see if the same thing happens.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:13 am

How was the background created? By overriding the default background or by adding the background as a bottom layer? There certainly shouldn't be a problem with either of those methods, but what I'm thinking is that if you change it so that, however you did it with this video, the background is instead created using the other method, it might solve the problem.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Nonie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 am

Barbara, I made the background image I wanted the default background for the show. I can try it the other way - making it the bottom layer.

I just tried uploading it again to Youtube to see if it was a glitch and as it was rendering the show to get it ready to upload, I watched the little mini-movie it shows while doing that. The background was showing as gray. So I'll try Dick's suggestion of using a different output and see what happens. I've uploaded other shows to Youtube without this problem, so maybe it has something to do with the default background?

Another possibility: After I finished the show, I collected the show files. When it prompted me to use the collected show, I said yes, and PSG crashed - just disappeared. Now I can't get PSG to browse the computer to open a show. But I can go to the show and double click it to open it in PSG. The show looks fine on PSG, just not uploading.

Postby Nonie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:22 am

I tried uploading to Facebook with the same results. I saw while it was encoding the file that it was going to be gray, so I cancelled the upload. But when I did a PC Executable file, it worked like a champ, using the correct image background. Well.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:27 am

Quite often, such a crash can mess up a couple program files. These two files are proshow.cfg and proshow.phd, which are constantly being written to. What we all learn to do sooner or later is to delete those two files. You can do it without any fear at all because they're regenerated the instant you open ProShow.

You'll find the files inside the main program folder, but you have to have file extensions turned on in Windows Explorer so you can see them. With Gold closed, delete those two files and then open Gold. Whatever was broken will be just a memory.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 am

I have not heard of that before, but you don't need to upload it to check it - the video file should be playable on your system. A couple of important pieces of info we are missing though - what version of Gold are you running and what version of windows are you running ?

[edit] OK, couple more things - what format settings did you select for Youtube when you created the video ? I just tried a short show in Producer with a default background image and both my tests (mpeg2 and avi for youtube) played just find with the expected background. What kind of a file were you using for the background file ? (jpg ?). As far as I know, there is no practical way for either YouTube or any other site to strip out a background since it is rendered as part of the video, so it has to be happening in the rendering process. You can avoid the upload step by selecting the "save video to computer" option in the YouTube creation page (well, at least in Producer you have that option).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Nonie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 am

Barbara, I went in and deleted those two files, which corrected the problem of not being able to browse for a show from PSG. But it did not solve the upload problem.

gpsmikey, I am using ProShow Gold 5.0.3280 and running Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1 all up to date. I used the best quality setting. It didn't ask for any other format settings. I am using a jpg for the background.

I saved the file as a video to my computer and then uploaded that to Youtube and it works fine now. Here is the actual show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfo9VUUZ ... e=youtu.be

I'm going to make a copy of the show and put in the background as a bottom layer and see if that will work (as Barbara suggested). I don't understand why it won't upload correctly since other ones have, but at least you gave me a work around. Thanks!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:28 am

Just a shot in the dark: What happens if you replace that background with another image just as a test? Is it possible there's something with that specific .jpg that's giving ProShow indigestion when rendering for YouTube? What it might be, I can't imagine, but weird things do happen now and then.

Barbara

Postby Nonie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:44 am

Very interesting, Barbara. I stuck in another jpg as the background and it was okay with that. I didn't do the whole upload, because I could see in the rendering that it was going to take it. I edited that original background jpg using gimp and exported it as a jpg. I have other photos in there that I edited with gimp and they uploaded okay, so apparently it was just when I wanted to use one as a background.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Very interesting and also forever mysterious. This is probably a version of Murphy's Law, the version where whatever it is you really want, it'll be the one thing that doesn't work. I had a photograph that by some twist of nature was the best I'd ever taken. I backed it up to disk, eventually deleting it from the hard drive, assuming it was safe on its CD. Just one of the photos on that CD didn't get burned properly. Can you guess which one?

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Murphy was an optimist ... :twisted:

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Nonie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Ouch. That hurt. I have a love/hate relationship with technology...

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Yeah, me too and I'm a retired embedded hardware/software engineer :lol: (well, semi-retired - I just got invited back to work again part time in a couple of weeks)

mikey

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:35 am

It's great to know your missed, Mikey.

I have now finally given up, I just couldn't keep up to date with the paperwork requirements. Alway hated paperwork :evil:

Back on topic, glad you found a workaround for your unusual problem Nonie. :D
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting