Unhappy with clairty of text

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Esteemed Member

Unhappy with clairty of text

Postby Barnum » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:17 pm

I must be doing something wrong....I have recently put together two slideshows, and both time the text is blurry or not very distinct. What do I need to do to correct this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIS6vhJ ... ture=g-upl

Esteemed Member

Re: Unhappy with clairty of text

Postby Barnum » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 pm

And if you have time to watch it please do so full screen....most notable that way.

Postby cherub » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:29 pm

I don't see any problem with your captions. They look fine, and very clear to me.

You might consider, though, changing the red color with yellow, or even white. The captions will stand out more.
Also, you don't allow enough time for the viewer to actually read those caption. Perhaps a little more time is needed.
But, in all, they look fine.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Barnum . . . I do see a little "blurriness" in your captions and tried changing the Youtube playback quality from 480P to 780P HD which helped a little. I agree with Mona that possibly changing the font type and/or the font color might improve the caption quality a bit.

Another issue might be the playback quality using Youtube verses the playback quality using the Photodex website which uses the proprietary "Presenter" plug-in. I guess the only way to see if you can improve the captioning is to experiment and see what gives the best playback performance.

Good luck :wink:

Dan

Postby Astra » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 am

Barnum,
RED color is not good color for text - (mainly "sharp" red you have in your show), it has tendency to blur.
If you could use other - "softer" colors - (brownish).
Also outline in different colors (darker / ligher then text itself) could help.

Astra/Alex

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm

Text is very hard to get to look sharp with the level of compression being applied in this kind of video. It's actually not specific to text--basically anything with sharp edges and thin lines will tend to have that happen. As the others are pointing out already, the best thing you can do is to use a simple font and get good contrast with the background.
Dick

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm

And avoid bright red (as others have commented) - in the NTSC world, especially with the older CRT TV's red was the kiss of death and almost exploded on the screen (it has to do with the way color is extracted out of the NTSC signal and has always been a problem). Another consideration when we are talking mpeg style of compression - it does much of the compression by only including the details that have changed from the last major frame and has a limited bandwidth that the signal can support. That said, what it translates to is the more motion you have in an mpeg style compressed video, the less sharp it tends to be because of all the differences between frames (an article in Videomaker a while back was pointing that out and commenting not to shoot an interview with a tree in the background with leaves moving in the breeze).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby Barnum » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks all....I will now try to experiment with all your suggestions. Appreciate the feedback a great deal. You have helped me tremendously in the past, and I thank you.

Postby MichaelD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:07 pm

I enjoyed watching the video, Barnum. Didn't know there was such an organization as the FMDAC!

Regarding text color, I notice that on sub-titled movies on TV the sub-titling tends to be either yellow or white, with a black drop-shadow or outline.

You might want to correct a typo: at around 29 seconds into the video you have the word "sucess", which should be "success". But congratulations on an entertaining video :)
Mike

Postby Oldguy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:48 am

I enjoyed the show. Looks like you had a great time!!

Forrest

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting