Problem rendering then burning a DVD

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Problem rendering then burning a DVD

Postby Alexander » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 am

This is my first time with you guys but I have read a lot of your advice and solutions.
This is driving me mad.

When I try to render a DVD, the "searching for writable CD R/Rw drives" does not respond.

I have done the normal procedure, disabled the anti virus, removed the Pro Show programme then re installed it from my Pro Show disc. It still does not respond.

The error messages state;

. . . . Temp/wer8394.dir00/proshow.exe.mdmp
. . . . . " " "/ appcompat.txt
double dutch to me.
Any ideas?
Alex

Re: Problem rendering then burning a DVD

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am

Well, if it's any consolation, makes no sense to me either, HOWEVER, the best way to solve this is break it down into two parts - rendering then burning. For the first part, instead of trying to burn to disk, select the option to create an ISO file (which is an image of a burned DVD). If that completes ok, then we can work the second part - my favorite utility for this is the free Imgburn utility ( http://www.imgburn.com ) - you can use that to burn the iso to a DVD. Give that a try and let us know where you get - if the render itself is failing, then we know where to start.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Alexander » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks Mikey. At my camera club last night a fellow pro show'er suggested disabling the . . . psdata file of the show
This morning I found it, deleted it, and hey presto, everything back to normal. You learn something every day.
This may help someone else.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 am

Hmm -- very interesting I had not heard of that one before. Have to file that one away if someone else has that issue. Thanks for the feedback !!

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Alexander » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 am

Hi Mikey. You may well say Hmmm! After my first successful burn I had to make a small alteration to the title of the show which I did. When I started create, it found the drives and started copying, it rendered but then did not repond to the burn process.
I will have a go at your route. . . .but. . . how do I create an ISO. I can't see any buttons on the Pro Show display which relate to ISO unless it has another name.
Alex

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 am

Actually, the ISO route is one of those "really easy once you know the incantation" things - in the pull down menu where you select which burner to use, one of the options is to create an ISO file :D

I always do it the ISO route - have not burned "direct" for years now since the ISO gives me a number of other options that were not available in the past (like verify etc) that I am in the habit of doing it that way. I do it the same way from Sony Vegas when I am creating something in DVD Architect too.

mikey

Postby Alexander » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:48 am

We are back to sqare one mikey. When I click DVD I get the small window "looking for DVD drives etc" and that's
it. It does not open. After several minutes I exit, get "program not responding," then error message. This happens with all buttons except Executable. This works, if that is any help.

Alex

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am

Well, not exactly back to square one - we now know it is not a burner problem, but something else that is confusing Proshow. For the life of me, I can't remember if Proshow will still let you select ISO if it can't find any drives - I think that was an issue in the past, but thought it was fixed. I would suggest contacting their support - they are generally pretty good and respond fairly quickly and see if they can identify the issue. I guess I do have one question - can you burn DVD's with any other programs (just to be sure your drive is OK)? Can you create an mp4 file of the show ?

mikey

Postby Alexander » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 am

I contacted Pro Show help line as you suggested and my show is now working. I can't understand why some other users have not had this problem. The solution to my problem, in shorthand was. In the Control panel, remove Photodex Presenter and ProShow Gold. From the register, in HK Classes Root delete ProShow. In HK Current User, delete Photodex. I was asked to download a psgold file -32-2047 but could not manage that with all the stuff that came up when I put it into Google. I disabled the AVG then installed ProShow from my disc and re-registered.
I was then able to put my current show to DVD with no problem.

However, when the show was finished I clicked the OK X in the "Show Completed" box which did not respond.
The error messages [2] were the same as when it could not find the Drives. I have had this problem before and it eventually came back to normal after a lot of my fiddling, so I do not know what actually made it work again.
One of the things I did, with advice from Michelle [Pro Show] was to delete [un click] from the "Start up" box any item not related to the keyboard, mouse,anti virus program or internet. I do this now on a regular basis.

If anyone has any ideas about this last blip, feel free.

Thanks for your interest and help mikey. Will come back to you soon when I have a bit of time

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:05 pm

It sounds like you were still going directly to the DVD burner rather than an ISO, or no?
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Alexander » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 am

Yes. I always go to Create then DVD as I do not know any better. Mikey suggested that route as a solution, but as the window stuck at the "Looking for Drives" box I could not get in. So, what happens when you create an ISO.
Alex

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 am

When you select the ISO route, it will ask you for a destination folder/file name and create an ISO file in that folder for you in stead of trying to burn a disk. You never answered the question on if you have been able to use the burner without issues with other programs that burn DVD's ?? I would suggest downloading / installing the free Imgburn utility and see if that has an issue looking at the burner(s) in your system.

mikey

Postby Alexander » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:17 am

I will try and answer your question and hope it is what you needed to know. When the "drives" have been found and the window opens up, I have had no difficulty in burning DVD's or CD's in Pro Show. I copy any DVD/CD discs to other discs, as well as files from My Documents, using Nero with no problem.
I did download you program imgburn but had nothing visible to copy, so I now see the value of creating an ISO which can be accessed from a file without going the "Create DVD" route in PorShow. I will give that a go and let you know. I am hoping my problem has been solved but I have only tried it once. Re MP4 files. No, don't know what they are, or used for.
Alex

Postby Alexander » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 am

Back to square one! Show not responding. Have created an Executable which rendered then played. Still working on it. Alex

Postby Alexander » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am

Hi mikey. My show now responds when I click "DVD" rather than "Create" > "DVD" For how long, I don't know.I have also been able to create an ISO. I think I should now move to another part of the forum to talk to you about Imgburn as we have moved out of troubleshooting into information.
Alex

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting