Image density mismatch

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Image density mismatch

Postby kiwihans » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:49 pm

I have owned ProGold software for sometime now, but this is the first time I am using it. Just this week, a customer wanted me to produce a slide show of 80 slides. I created output to a SD DVD but found that the images were considerably washed out - eg. overexposed. (this was my first attempt at making a show) At the start I scanned the slides into adobe workshop and spent some time correcting density and color balance. Finally, I had some good slides to work with (they looked fine on my vga monitor). I let the wizard take care of all steps to produce a DVD. The project looked real nice as it was playing on the VGA screen. The resulting playback of the DVD was most disappointing! After playing the completed DVD, I had to go back into workshop and decreased exposure for all slides by -60%. For 80 slides this is quite tedious! I have looked through pages and pages of the Proshow enthusiasts site but can't find anyone with the same problem..........

Esteemed Member

Re: Image density mismatch

Postby marjolijn1957 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:16 am

I think / guess your VGA need a calibration????

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:56 am

marjolijn1957 wrote:I think / guess your VGA need a calibration????

This is probably the answer, given that everything looked correct both while editing and then building the show. You probably have your monitor set far brighter than it ought to be.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:27 am

You may also find you have "desaturate images to 80%" checked under the options. I don't remember if that is checked by default for the NTSC world, but I normally un-check it and have not had issues with my flat screen tv's etc. You do need to calibrate your monitor though (and often it is not even close to correct - you don't realize it because any prints you have made from images you have "adjusted" are "corrected" by the printers when they print the images).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby kiwihans » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi folks

I followed the suggestions put to me. Firstly, my VGA monitor is CRT, my TV monitor is LCD. I attempted to calibrate my VGA monitor to the extent of having maximum brightness and contrast (can't take this any further).
Still, the PAL output on the TV (LCD) monitor looks 2 stops overexposed.

I have a video editing program (Sony Vegas). this has a button enabling VGA to output to video. I put one of the images on that program's timeline and watched the image on both the VGA and TV monitors simultaneously. They were quite different. I attempted to match both, but the VGA monitor image can't be lightend to match the TV monitor even at the maximum brightness and contrast settings.
The TV LCD monitor is calibrated to broadcast video and nothing is going to be solved by changing this.

I just don't know where to go from here.......

Postby im42n8 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:52 pm

If the images are washed out, you might also check to see what color space they are in. If they are shot in Adobe RGB and you're looking at them in sRGB, your images are going to appear washed out. The Adobe RGB colorspace is larger than the RGB scheme used by most video devices. The result is a dull look when played on sRGB devices.

If this is the case, you'll want to convert the images colorspace to RGB.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby kiwihans » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 am

This problem is now largely fixed. It turned out to be a missing video card driver (now updated) which limited the range of brightness on my VGA display.
I recently changed over from Windows XP to Windows 7 (not sure if this was a good thing to do). Windows 7 reckoned that they had the correct version of the video card driver - I downloaded the latest driver myself.

Had I known that changing Windows would make some changes, I most likely would have stayed with XP. Most of my software programs behave somewhat different than under XP

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey, I hear you !! I finally took the plunge and went to Windows 7/64, but I have my machine set up as dual boot with another partition as XP/sp-3 so I can scurry back under XP when I need to :twisted: (the other thing I did was mount my XP partition as "X:" on the Windows 7 install and under XP, I have the Windows 7 partition as "X:" so I can copy various things back and forth when I need to (most of my images, projects etc are off on other drives so that is a different issue)).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting