Burning - Create ISO image, comes out as WinZip file

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Burning - Create ISO image, comes out as WinZip file

Postby Nitts » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi,

I am a little frustrated right now. After I create my slideshow in ProShowGold I go to burn it and it renders completely fine but instead of creating an ISO image it creates it as a WinZip folder. I open the WinZip folder and it has 7 files in it, .VOB's, and BUP's, and IFO's (no idea what these are). I've tried burning the WinZip folder as is in Power2Go and in ImgBurn and keep getting errors. I have no idea how to burn this onto a DVD from here. Do I have to convert the WinZip file to a .ISO somehow?

Sorry in advance for being a novice in this department.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Nitts

Re: Burning - Create ISO image, comes out as WinZip file

Postby cherub » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 pm

I presume you have WinRar installed on your computer, and that WinRar associated itself with ISO files. Because of this you see the icon of WinRar and not some other icon - for example a disk icon.
I also assume that you don't see the extension of your files in Windows, because they are hidden by default.

To cut a long story short:
Your file is not a WinZip/WinRar file. It is in effect an iso file and it has the extension .iso.
Don't attempt to open the file in any way and don't look at what's inside.

Just leave it there on your computer.
Open ImgBurn, choose the ISO option and direct the program to that file on your computer.
You'll see that there are no problems what so ever.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Like Mona says :D One of the first things I do on a windows install is to turn OFF the folder option to "hide extensions of known file types" - that causes more people more grief. Windows doesn't actually look at the contents of the file, it simply looks at the extension and looks to see what program is associated with that extension in the registry. All sorts of programs when they are installed will decide they are the best ones to handle that extension. Another one that has caused a number of problems is a template file for Proshow - that is a .pst file which windows decides MUST be an Outlook file (which it isn't) simply because Outlook files also end in .pst. Anyway, Imgburn should handle it just fine - the files you listed inside the .iso file sound like the ones that are supposed to be there. If you are even slightly curious about what the contents of a DVD look like, check out this link for an excellent overview of the files you will find on a DVD: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

If you RIGHT click the file you created and select "Properties" from the menu, at the top you should see the full file name and various other details about the file (size, date etc).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Nitts » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for the help guys!! Got the slide show burnt successfully.

Have a great weekend!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting