Burning slideshow on dvd

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Burning slideshow on dvd

Postby marcym » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:00 am

Hello everyone,
I made a slideshow that is about 15min long and takes 6.3GB after I created a video file in HD. Is there a way I could burn this slideshow on dvd that has 4.7GB? Is there a way I could reduce the size of the file without losing 1920x1080 resolution?
Thank you for your response!

Re: Burning slideshow on dvd

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Well, the answer is yes, no and maybe :D A standard DVD is spec'd for 720*480 for NTSC (and something similar to that for PAL). If you want to play it as a DVD, then NO, you can't keep the resolution you want (it is not a Proshow issue - it is a DVD spec issue ). That said, one option is to create a MP4 file in the definition you want and save that to the DVD as a data file, not a playable DVD. Some players can handle playing files from a DVD. You could also put it on a memory stick - many of the newer TV's and players can read memory sticks with mp4 files on them. There have also been some people that have managed to put HD format on a standard DVD, but only a few players can handle that and the results are mixed. As an mp4, depending on how you have your house configured, some TV's can also play mp4 files that they can share from your computer if both are connected to your home network. Now, all that said, some DVD players can do a pretty good job of upsampling a SD disk so it looks good on the TV (assuming the player is connected to the TV via HDMI cables). My Sony player does a pretty good job that way. You don't actually get the 1920 resolution (you are limited to the 720 of the SD format), but properly upsampled, the image can look like it has that resolution to a large degree. Yeah, I know it's confusing - I have not sorted it all out either, but that is what I have found so far.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby heckydog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:10 pm

You could also try burning to a dual layer dvd. They have an 8.5GB capacity.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:02 pm

But dual layer still has the problem of limiting to SD format as a playable DVD so she still can't get the playable resolution she wants on a SD DVD. I have also had issues in the past with DL DVD's although I'm not sure how widespread that is - several DL DVD's I got from Digital Juice would read the first layer just fine, but extremely slow in reading the second layer in 2 out of the 3 DVD drives I had (like 20x slower) :evil:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting