Garbled Music during playback on same Computer

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Garbled Music during playback on same Computer

Postby kayone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:06 pm

I have a friend who is using Gold and lately everytime she creates a show in Computer A, the playback music comes out garbled.
When listening to the music, in Computer A, before being installed in the Gold program, it music is normal. When she creates and finishes a show and plays it back, in Computer A in it garbled.

When she takes that show' output (exe) and plays it on another machine, Computer Z, the music is normal.

To summarize: When playing the show on the same computer it was generated, it is garbled in computer A. When testing the sound card with a CD or some other music, in computer A, the music is normal.
When copying the exe file, or moving any output file to computer Z the music is normal.
What could be wrong with the Gold program?

V. Ouellette

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Garbled Music during playback on same Computer

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:00 pm

That does seem a bit odd. My question is does it do this on all VIDEO sounds, e.g. Windows Movie Maker, Windows Media Player, etc? This way we can isolate whether it is ProShow specific or machine specific.

If the other applications are playing in a garbled fashion, then I would scan for malware, viruses etc, before I would go looking for hardware problems.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby kayone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Vernon,

When playing music in all the other players (except for ProShow Gold), the music plays just fine. What I am unclear about is does ProShow Gold have its own player to play music?

V. Ouellette

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:17 pm

When ProShow plays an EXE file it is indeed using its own player (PXPlay.EXE). This playback program is ProShow specific. Since PXPlay does the decoding realtime, it taxes the capability of some machines during playback. For instance, if you have a complex slidestyle (many layers) with high resolution pictures, PXPlay will try and render that in real time, usually causing the machine to stutter, get video or sound sync problems, etc. I will get the names wrong, but when creating an exe I think you get to set the maximum resolution. This may be set a bit high. Make sure it matches the resolution of the screen. But the audio being garbled while everything else appears normal ..... hmmmmmm

Tell us more about the specs of the machine that is playing the EXE. I suspect that you will not have a problem playing the same show as DVD. If that is the case, then we have to look at the specifics of the machine. Initially I would look for a data rate problem.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby kayone » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:41 am

Vernon.

Here are the specs on the machine. BTW, new motherboard just installed.
It is Dell Studio XPS9100 Intel core i7-930 processor 8MB L2 cache 2.8GHz 8GB DDR 3A 1333MHz
Windows 7 Ultimate. Hard Drive has 920GB with 746GB free.
Proshow Gold 4.12737 version I don't know about the video card

V. Ouellette

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Great specs on the machine. That should not be an issue. At this point I would start looking for a software conflict. Inside Windows there is a utility called MSConfig. You can get it by typing MSConfig in the Windows (Start Menu) search box. From there, I would click the button that says diagnostic startup instead on Normal Start Up. Once you exit MSConfig, it will give you a cryptic message about the change you made. Accept the change and reboot the machine. Try running your EXE then and see if the situation improves. If it does, then that would tend to indicate a software conflict with another installed programmed. We can discuss that in more detail after you complete the check.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby kayone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Vernon,

Running the testing now based upon your suggestion. Results over the next fews days.

V.Ouellette

Postby kayone » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Vernon,

She has about 45 programs running in the background. I disabled all of them in that mode. We then created a new Gold show and the music played fine.

I had trouble activating some of the start up files and rebooting. The system wanted to activiate all of them.How do I get around that?

V. Ouellette
kayone

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Choose "Selective Startup"
Select check box for "Load System Services"

Thens select the "Services Tab" or the StartUp Tab" to turn items on or off. It will be an Easter egg hunt, so good luck. At least you know that it is possible.

To shorten the search, Load all of the System Services and Disable all of the startup items. Test and see if the problem returns. If not, then you at least know it is an item in the "StartUp" tab or the "System Services" tab.

I hope that makes some sense.

Regards,
-Vernon

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting