Can`t import videos and transitions

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Can`t import videos and transitions

Postby Revansh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 am

I have registered full version of ProShow Producer 5.0_3206 and I have problems with it.I also tried with some older versions of ProShow Gold (full registered versions),but the same problem appears. And the problem is this. I can import pictures normally into slideshow,but when I try to insert video (of any format) into slideshow,then entire program gets blocked and I can`t do anything with it,only thing I can do is exit from program.Also when I click on button for transitions between two pictures in the slideshow, there is similar problem.It starts loading transitions but when it comes to 64%,then it gets blocked and only thing I can do is exit from the program.
I used ProShow Gold and Producer very often in the past and it was very succecfull and there was no problems at all,but now...I have re-installed my Windows week ago,and I installed all players and codecs that I had before formating, and it all works normally,only ProShow doesn`t work.
Please,help me how to make my ProShow 100% working again including importing videos and transitions into slideshow. Thanks :)

Re: Can`t import videos and transitions

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:14 am

I can't say what's wrong, but there's definitely something that's not right. Did you try uninstalling ProShow and then reinstalling it? Sometimes this can solve mysterious problems.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Revansh,
Welcome to the forum. You did not mention what type of hardware you are using (processor speed and type, amount of ram, amount of free Hard Disk space, video card, video ram) for starters.

Also, please mention how long the video clip that you are trying to import is and the resolution. ProShow will try and buffer the entire movie clip. So if the clip is High Definition and more than a minute or two long, it will take time and consume lots of resources.

As a quick check, you could try to turn off the GPU acceleration if it is on and see if that helps.
Choose Edit/Preferences/Playback.

If turning off GPU acceleration works, then I would check to see if I had the latest drivers for my video card. Once thoroughly updated, you could try to turn the GPU acceleration back on to see if the problem has been resolved. Good luck.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby Revansh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 am

@Barbara
I have tried it already several times, to un-install and then install program again but it doesn`t help me...

@Vernon
Thanks for Welcome! My PC has 2,6 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, graphic card 64 MB, and 80 GB of hard disc (60 GB free). It is old 7 years but it still works.Both Pro Show Producer and PSG worked perfectly to me,until I formated my HD ten days ago. From when I formated and re-installed Windows, all other programs (and games) work good to me,only Pro Show is problematic.

Videos I want to import are short,maybe 10-20 seconds long and they are in low resolution.So,the problem is in program,not in videos...I have also problem with transitions as I have written in my first post. I can import pictures and music normally into slideshow, but can`t import videos and transitions...

In the bar about GPU acceleration the first option "Automatically configure your GPU..." is being automatically checked and I can`t unchek it,neither those 2 options bellow.Here is the print screen of it:

http://s8.postimage.org/5fqi2aajn/image.jpg

What do you think, maybe some dll file is missing in my sistem, or maybe something like that :? ?

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:21 am

The top line says you don't have acceleration enabled, and that's what's being done automatically. It indicates your system isn't capable of acceleration, either due to speed and memory or to not having a dedicated video card.

Barbara

Postby mrdcambs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:27 am

Revansh: at 512mb your Ram does not meet Photodex's recommended minimum of 1 gb (2gb or more is the
recommended amount, and 4gb or more ideal). Previous versions may have run satisfactorily with less, but
the latest versions will really struggle with just 512mb. Memory is cheap these days!

Regards - Mike

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Revansh,
Your PC specifications are too weak for version 5 of ProShow. However, if you use an earlier version, like version 3, then I think your problem will go away. With only 512 MB of ram, Windows XP or 7 will use over 300 MB of ram, leaving very little for ProShow to work with. This will force Windows to use the hard drive as fake memory. This will significantly slow the program performance.

Please indicate which version of Windows you are using. I suspect that you may need to increase the virtual memory available on your drive. You can do this from the Control Panel in Windows. This may help you get past this problem. If you have problems finding the Virtual Memory settings, please advise.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Yeah, 512 meg of RAM is really really small (I'm old enough that I remember when 64K was HUGE in the CP/M days or before ... I've even got an old core memory card around here!). The good news is that memory is cheap these days for most machines, however, I have run into this before where memory for older machines can be pretty expensive assuming the motherboard will take it. You might check out either Crucial or Kingston for their memory - they have a little utility you download and run and it will tell you how much you have, how much can be put on that mother board and what it will cost, but 512 is too small for many apps these days - even Photoshop elements says a minimum of 1Gig as does Sony Vegas Movie Studio (the boxes I had handy to check here).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Revansh » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:48 am

Dear friends, you are all wrong. I have already worked with PSP version 5.0_3206 on my PC many times in last three months and there was not any problems with it. The last time I succesfully used PSP is maybe 2 weeks ago, before I formated my HD. I have worked with PSG (versions 4.1_2737 and 4.52_3048) and PSP (the same I have now) more than two years and I never had any problems. As I told you,the problems with Pro Show started after I formated HD ten days ago. When I reinstalled Windows I installed all programs and games that I had before (only I didn`t install the same drivers for graphic card that I had before), and they all work good to me as they did before,only Pro Show doesn`t work.I tried also with older versions of PSG (4.1 and 4.52) and they also have the same problem,and that is - can`t import transitions and videos.Does somebody maybe know which sistem files it could be? I think that problem is also in drivers on my PC and some sistem files. I tried with several versions of drivers (ATI Catalysts and others) for my graphic card,but the same problem appears. I think my grafic card is ASUS A9250.Could somebody give me link to download best driver for it?

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 am

Not using that particular card, I wouldn't attempt to advise you on which driver to install, but I did look up the card, discovering why acceleration is disabled in Producer: The card has only 128 MB of memory and doesn't have a fan to cool it. If I were you, I'd replace the card with something that has a lot more memory and has its own fan. You don't have to spend a huge amount on such a card, by the way, and you'd have far better video processing speed.

Yes, I know, I haven't solved your problem for you, but the advice is solid.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 am

Have you looked at the Driverstock site?
http://www.driverstock.com/

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 am

Just a thought... as nobody mentioned this before:
Try this:
In Preferences > Playback > Video Importing
Remove the check mark from "Avoid Using DirectShow when possible"

Let us know if it makes any difference for you.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:24 am

Why didn't any of the rest of us think of this?! :D

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Too simple. I guess :oops: . But Iif that does not work I would still take a look at the virtual memory setting. It is possible that it was increased earlier, but once the OS was reinstalled, this setting would get reset by Windows. If you run out of virtual memory, your machine will hang. It takes only a few seconds to check and rule out as a possibility. Another reminder from your friend :).

Regards,
-Vernon

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting