A click can be heard during preview

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

A click can be heard during preview

Postby brianss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:40 am

When I preview my latest show there is a vertical line on the soundtrack line and when I preview the show as it gets to this point a "click" can be heard.

Contacting Photodex several times they asked me to submit a Problem report. But I eventually had a box saying "ProShow has run out of memory and must be closed" The show is 200 slides and 30 mins. long with no video clips.

I'm sure I had a similar problem once before and Jared at Photodex sorted it for me - I seem to remember it was something to do with one of the slides . . . . . I have tried deleting all the usual files but this line & click is still there. :(

Re: A click can be heard during preview

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 am

Out of the number of times I've tried sending a problem report, I think it succeeded just once. I've given up on it, and for a case like yours where it's supremely unlikely that it has anything to do with your computer system, I should think the most they'd need would be the collected show plus maybe copies of a couple configuration files in your ProShow program folder.

Have you checked the sound file all by itself, listening to it in, say, Windows Media Player? You probably have, but it was worth asking.

Where the click occurs, is there a sound file inside the slide itself (as opposed to in the soundtrack)?

Have you tried a different soundtrack to see if the click still happens? If it does, then the problem is in one of the slides.

Have you tried deleting the slide where the click is heard? (You can temporarily move the slide nearer the end of the show.)

I don't have the answer to the problem, so what I've done is list the things I'd try in a similar situation.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby brianss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:38 am

BarbaraC when you say "is there a sound file inside the slide itself (as opposed to in the soundtrack)?" how do I check for this? I seem to think this was the problem last it happened!

The click is not there when I play the track on the computer.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 am

In Slide Options at bottom left you'll see "Slide Sound." If it says "no sound," then that isn't the problem. Anything else, and you've found the problem. Click on Slide Sound to see what's in there and to delete the sound clip.

This most often happens when we're dragging a sound down to the soundtrack and misfire, hitting the sound-clip section of a slide instead of the soundtrack.

Barbara

Postby brianss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:33 am

No, there was no slide sound to that slide.

When I get a minute I'll delete all the music (only 3 - it's a new show) and replace with different music.

I'll try moving the slide to somewhere else first. I moved the slide and the click is still there, but obviously on a different slide.

Also - and pardon my ignorance here - when I click on a slide, a vertical line moves to the beginning of that selected slide BUT this other line that is causing the "click" on the soundtrack doesn't move.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:56 am

brianss wrote:Also - and pardon my ignorance here - when I click on a slide, a vertical line moves to the beginning of that selected slide BUT this other line that is causing the "click" on the soundtrack doesn't move.

Odd, but I've seen the same kind of behavior and to the point where EVERY slide has a vertical line, but I've seen this only when one of my slides happens to have a sound attached to it. In my demos, if I use my intro slide which has sound, that's when I see the mysterious lines, though I haven't experienced a click.

Sigh. It seemed we might have found the problem. Guess not. :(

Barbara

Postby brianss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 am

If I remove all the soundtracks the line disappears!

Oh . . . . I just don't know!

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:28 am

Could one of the lines be the scrubber bar line? That doesn't help the problem though....
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby brianss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 am

What's a scrubber bar line?

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:00 am

Resides directly beneath the upside down triangle shaped icon located at the top of the time line. As the show is played back in preview while editing a show, it automatically moves along with the progress of the show. When the show is not in "play" mode, it can be manually grabbed and scrubbed (moved) left and right to see the action of slides.

I use it to line up a slide when adjusting the timing so to better visually match the accent beat of the music.
Last edited by debngar on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby brianss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 am

To re-cap:-

1) The track plays without a click with Windows media player.

2) The track in ProShow makes a click when the preview gets to a certain slide.

3) This slide does not have a sound to it.

4) I deleted all the music (3 tracks) and this vertical line disappears.

5) I deleted all the music ad replaced it with different music and the click - on the same slide - is there again.

6) It appears to be something at that particular point in the show. As if it is something to do with that position on the slide line.

7) If it's of any help this vertical that is causing the click is green, the same colour as that particular music track. The other vertical line on the music line is a black one and this one moves to the beginning of whichever slide I select.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 am

Don't know why you're having trouble with the sound file. But the black line described sounds like a line associated with the scrubber triangle icon which will set itself to the beginning of a slide depending on which one you've clicked on in the edit window, yes.

I don't usually have trouble with audio so hopefully someone else may have the answer for you. If you move that slide to a different location in the timeline, does the problem still exist? If so, then maybe there's something in that slide causing the problem. Past that idea, I don't know....

It might help someone id the problem if you posted screen shots? Image used must be stored somewhere online so you can grab the URL and paste it in between the code inserts when clicking on the "img" button in the toolbar above the posting text box.
Debbie

Postby brianss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks for you response - I do know about the black line now. It's the other one! :?

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 pm

That green line is odd. Is it in the same area where the black lines for the scrubber show up?

You wouldn't by any chance have a slide sound in any adjacent slides, would you? I'm thinking that, if you do, and if it is offset from the beginning of the slide, it might show up somewhere on down the line.

Barbara

Postby brianss » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:57 am

I have now sussed where this line is :) . . . . it's exactly at the point between two pieces of music. The offending click is between the first & second pieces of music and I have now seen one between the second & third pieces of music that also makes a click - I only have three tracks on this show at the moment.

I haven't noticed an audible click at this point between music tracks other presentations I have done. :? As yet I haven't played this particular show on the TV.

Next

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting