Low GPU Benchmark Score?

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Re: Low GPU Benchmark Score?

Postby heckydog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Update: My new score is 136, from 123 :cry:

As I said, I replaced the mobo with an Asus Z87 Pro, swapped out the CPU for an i7-4770K (not over clocked, yet) running at 3.5GHz, and upgraded my RAM from 12GB to 16GB. I kept my original GPU, an ATi HD4870 1GB. A week or so ago I swapped my HDD for a 500GB Samsung SSD.

So, Photodex must be primarily basing the benchmark on the GPU, which is what it says in the flash screen.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:59 am

Joe, that's what I discovered when I upgraded my card but kept everything else the same. The score rose, but I wasn't overwhelmed by the performance. It wasn't until I got a really hot card that the score rose to where I wanted to see it. Yes, it's the card I ended up having to build a computer for. :evil:

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cdcd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 am

Maybe this could be of interest to some users of PS Producer who are frustrated by the low GPU Benchmark score. Last week I bought the Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 for that same reason. As a matter of fact, before that I had only video on board and so I did not have any accelaration at all and my previews and so on were sometimes a little shaky. With my new card I have a score of 169 which is very reasonable. All shaky effects are gone and I have superb shows in full HD on my 24" monitor.
Before buying the card I made some reasearch on the net and this is why I decided to buy this card: it has 2 GB of GDDR5 memory (= better than GDDR3 memory - Photodex recommends at least 1 GB of memory!), GPU core clock is 1150 which is not bad at all and above all this is a very reasonably priced video card.
I hope this information was usefull.
greetings from Belgium

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 am

cdcd wrote:...I bought the Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5...

Mine is also in the Sapphire family, though it's a different series, and the benchmark is consistently over 200, usually in the 230 range if I'm not running other stuff simultaneously. It's a high score, but I wouldn't be the least surprised if a performance difference between yours and mine is barely discernible, if at all. However, everyone would likely benefit from a GPU above 100. When mine was below that, performance definitely suffered.

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 am

I finally opted for a new video card as well. I went with an Asus nvidia GeForce GTX 660, also with 2GB of 192 bit DDR5 RAM. I chose nvidia because I have several other programs that use CUDA. Don't think PSP uses it other wise they'd say so.

My old GPU Benchmark went from 136 to 281 (which originally was 123 to 136). That difference appears to be based solely on the new card. I have noticed that the number will change almost every time I open PSP. It goes as low as 274 and it's been up to 282. I don't know if PSP 6 would change that. I don't plan on upgrading to 6 for a few months.

I've done a lot of benchmark testing of my own trying different combinations of overclocking the CPU, RAM, and/or GPU. My conclusion, in my particular case, yours may be different, is that the improvement you may get in render times may not be worth the possible shortening of the lifetime of your o/c'd device. I think gamers may gain an advantage but I don't play games.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 am

Joe, your conclusion parallels mine, which is that beyond a certain point, gaining milliseconds just isn't worth the effort, given that we'll never notice it anyway.

Barbara

Postby irwin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:22 am

Marc NY wrote:Just for curiosity sake - what might be the highest Benchmark could someone actually achieve?

Some time ago I gathered statistics regarding GPU benchmark. See my signature.
Jean-Paul tops with 372. Mine is 339.

Postby heckydog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:13 pm

irwin wrote:
Marc NY wrote:Just for curiosity sake - what might be the highest Benchmark could someone actually achieve?

Some time ago I gathered statistics regarding GPU benchmark. See my signature.
Jean-Paul tops with 372. Mine is 339.

It looks like we have the same video card, GTX 660, mine is Asus branded. I'm curious as to what kind of overclocking you are doing to get that kind of benchmark, CPU, GPU, RAM?

Joe

added: I was just looking at those charts again, when what to my surprise, I see my name on there at number 16! I have no recollection of doing that and it was only just over a year ago. :)

Postby irwin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Joe,

no manual overclocking both for videocard and processor.

Here is some info about my MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC:
- Clock Speed 1032 MHz. Not boosted
- 2GB/192-bit GDDR5 memory
- Memory Clock Speed 6008 MHz
- Bandwidth 144.19 GB/s

As you can see at "Answers" sheet, my processor is i5-3570K 3.4GHz (Mesured speed 3400.8MHz). No Turbo or other boosting.
And RAM is 8GB DDR3-1600 (Clk.800MHz, 9-9-9-24).

And you are welcome to add your new configuration - use second link in my signature!

Vlad

Postby heckydog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:14 am

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for the quick reply. Our cards are virtually identical. I will be adding my new configuration soon. Would I be able to remove my old specs? I'm heckydog and my old benchmark was 121.

Here's my stock specs which I am currently using. It's not shown in the picture but the tweaker comes with 2 presets, one for energy savings and one for gaming, which I am not using now. But those gaming specs are 1105, 0937, 6048, 0110, and the fan speed stays at 0010.

I have the i7-4770K at 3.5GHz, running now at about 3.9GHZ

My RAM is G.Skill Ripjaws X series, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866, DRAM Freq 933.4 MHz, 9-10-9-28

Now I'm curious as to why two very similar setups would have such different benchmarks in ProShow. My guess is I have processes and/or services running that you don't, that are using the GPU.

But all in all I am very happy with this new build.

Joe

Postby irwin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:17 am

Last time I checked my benchmark many months ago. Now it is 221-231. So I should find out what has changed.

Postby heckydog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Things are getting curiouser and curiouser :) Maybe Photodex changed their methodology when 6.0 was released.

Now the question is why is your score now that many points lower when we have the same GPU? :roll: . . .and will the other scores be affected too?

Joe

Previous

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting