Menu problem

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Menu problem

Postby sargan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:48 am

(Total beginner)
I have been creating some test DVD (well ISO files to save the disks)

So far so good ... now prepared for my first DVD ... have 5 shows, an intro slide .... have selected the thumbnail for each 'show' and they appear correctly.

The problem there is no option in Create Output > Create DVD >Menu > Layout for 5 thumbnail menu ?
Only 5 list ....

How easy is it to modify for example 3 thumbnail and add 2 more, or even create a layout from scratch ?

Anybody done this and can tell me the the steps ?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Menu problem

Postby DickK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I hope someone else drops in here who knows more than I do -- I'd never noticed that was a missing option and that seems odd. Don't know if a menu layout can be created from scratch or modified. I'm curious too, so I'll do some checking in the next day or so and let you know if I find anything useful. But with luck someone else will beat me to it, I hope.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby sargan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:45 am

Thnx.
I have given up trying to create my own layout, can't find options to create thumbnails etc.

Workaround is I have used 6 thumbnail layout, but only loaded 5 shows, and moved thumbnails around to give a reasonable 'look'
Be good too know how to create a layout from scratch - manual is not much help.

Are there any sites where users load free templates, layouts etc.?

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:11 am

Check out this link - this was for a much earlier version, but the info may still apply to modifying the menu files for a custom setup:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5120
I have not experimented with it at all, but I did remember this discussion quite a while ago.

Actually, after experimenting around a bit, it looks even easier than that. When you go to Publish, Create DVD, you can customize the menu. Select the 6 button menu layout or more then click the "customize menu" button - you can now look at the layers in the menu, move the "buttons" around on the screen, modify the background image and all sorts of other things. When you are done, just save the custom menu layout for your own use later.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby sargan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:42 pm

That is what I managed to figure out last night ...

still be good to know how to create from scratch. ... I'll take a look at the link.

Simple Q ... once I have modified the layout using 'customize' .. is there a way to save it to add it to Layout menu so I can use it again ?
Can't find any 'save' function

Postby sargan » Wed May 02, 2012 2:17 am

Looked at that 'old post' .... when I look at a .lay file it is full of co-ordinates, and not easy to follow.

If I explain what I have tried (matches manual almost)

Open a show
Create Output > DVD
Select 6 thumbnail show
Load on 5 shows in total
Customise .. move thumbnails & captions to desired position.
Back to Create DVD menu ...
.. On top right there are 3 icons 'arrow, folder, disc'
If I select 'disc' it allows me top save a 'mnu' file which I assume would relate to menus ?
If I quit and then start again ..

Open a show
Create Output > DVD
I then click on 'folder' to select and load the 'mnu' file .......... nothing happens ?

From the older post it looks as if layout is in .lay files not .mnu files .... in that case what is a .mnu file, what purpose does saving it give ?

Also the obvious one ... how do I correctly save my Layout file (customized to 5 thumbnails)

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting