V5 is very buggy

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

V5 is very buggy

Postby gordonsbuck » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 am

I noticed the other crash and hang-up threads but my problem is more general so I started this new thread.

I've been a Proshow Gold user for many years. Version 5 (5.0 3222) is so buggy that it reminds me of the versions from several years ago when I was about ready to give up on it. Version 4 seemed OK and I may just have to go back to it. It is difficult to be creative when your constant concern is losing the edits.

To all who are using V5, I strongly recommend that you "save" virtually every time you make a change.

As I edit a slide, the first indication of a problem is when it takes *two* clicks to "OK" a change and close the editing window. The hang is then about to happen.

Another procedure that generates a hang is to change transition or transition time.

Last night, I thought the problem had gone away and I credited the solution to passing through the "Preferences" options. But the hangs have returned. I make a few changes, save, hang, use Task Manager to shut it down, then reload and make a few more changes.

I'll sure be glad when these bugs are gone.

Re: V5 is very buggy

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:17 am

Have you contacted Photodex with your concerns ? For what it's worth, there are a lot of folks out here using it with very few problems and there are many people that have gone through beta testing with it looking for ways to crash it. In general, it is pretty stable and something as crash prone as you are claiming you are running into is more likely related to a configuration issue on your machine (or a driver). Now if you want to talk unstable, lets go back to version 2.0 when I started using it ... :evil: In general, version 5 has been pretty good with a pretty wide range of people testing it on their hardware. Talk to Photodex - they are generally pretty helpful and if you have something that causes a repeatable crash they want to know about it.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 am

Something to look at is GPU Benchmark. You'll find it by clicking Help in the menu and then About. In there, you'll find your benchmark rating. If acceleration is turned on, and if the benchmark is low (mine is around 150, which is very good), try turning off acceleration and see if stability returns. It's possible you're on the borderline, and it's causing problems.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Doesn't behave that way for me at all, nor I suspect for most everyone. That isn't to deny that you're experiencing these issues, only to suggest that there's something about your hardware or operating system configuration that is different.

I agree, contact PhotoDex and give them the full specs on your machine, especially the specs on the video card and OS configuration. They may be able to suggest a fix or at least a workaround.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gordonsbuck » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:38 am

I don't doubt that the fault is all mine, computer poorly configured, need a newer, faster machine, etc. But I do run Office 2010, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Elements, etc. so my machine and configuration can't be all that bad. My GPU Benchmark is 45. It does help if all other programs are turned off when running PS Gold; of course, there are many programs running in the background, virus check, etc.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:46 am

I don't think your benchmark is so low as to be indicative of all the crashing.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting