Can't burn files with Iphone HD video

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Can't burn files with Iphone HD video

Postby pcather » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 am

My daughter and I are trying to create a video mostly using video she took with her Flip camera. She wants to add a video that her dad took on his Iphone 4 which is HD. We can load the iphone video into Proshow. We can edit it and play it in the preview.

But when we try to burn it to a dvd it stops when we get to the iphone video parts. There are two parts. I stopped at the first one so we removed it and tried again. This time it worked until it got to the second part, then it just stopped. It just sits there. The timers continue to run and we can cancel it so the program itself is not locked up. The first time we tried to burn it we started it and then left for church. It just sat at the beginning of the first iphone video for 3 hours. So I know that it's not that we're being impatient with it.

Do we need a special codec? If so do you know which one? Or do we need to convert the HD file to something else first?

Thanks so much.

Re: Can't burn files with Iphone HD video

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 am

I realize this is not a lot of help (since I don't have a flip phone), but I remember a number of issues in the past being discussed in the Sony Vegas (video editing) forums. Seems to me there was something funny about the format that video is in from the Flip Phones. You might (if you have access to a video editor) try converting the video from the phone to a different format and see if that works for you. I would also suggest contacting Photodex (unlike a lot of companies these days, they actually have live people that can help!!) and see if they have any answers. Hopefully someone else here may have more experience, but that is what I remember seeing a year or so ago.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby pcather » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 am

Mikey,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't mention in my first post but I'm not having any problem burning the Flip files. If I remove the Iphone video it burns fine.

Pamela

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 am

Yeah, that was what I thought you were saying. See if this link provides a bit of insight into the issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL7a2e8a-Zg
A Google search for "flip phone video problem vegas" (which is the video editor I have) turned up a bunch of stuff, but this one with Bill Meyers gave a few ideas. I don't remember all the issues, but I do remember that the flip phones were the source of quite a few posts along the lines of "how do i ... " (which is usually an indication of some problem :lol: ).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm

The OP is stating that the Flip videos aren't the problem, but rather it's the iPhone video files that are the problem.

I created a quick test show using one of the MOV files from my iPhone to see what was happening. Dropping the MOV file into the timeline appears to be working correctly, as is playing the preview. However, I ran into the same problem as the OP when I tried to burn to DVD. ProShow just seems to hang waiting to render the MOV file for the final output. It just sits there and doesn't ever proceed.

I imported the video file into Sony Vegas and rendered it back as an MP4 and replaced that file into my test show. Once I did that I was able to create my DVD so there does seem to be an issue with ProShow rendering MOV files from an iPhone, even if it does appear to import and play in the preview.

Unfortunately I don't have any fixes to provide other than repeating Mikey's suggestion to convert the MOV file into MP4 or another format using a third party application. As he also suggested, I would definitely contact Photodex to see what they can suggest.

Mike

Postby pcather » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:28 am

Thks MG I'm using Proshow Gold 4. What version were you using? Just wondering if ver 5 would handle Iphone videos. I would think this would be a big problem with all the iphones out there.

Again, Thanks.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm

I was using the latest and greatest available from Photodex, version 5.0.3.222. I just tried to create a show following the same process as above and now it's working. The show renders to 100% and playback is fine. I'm not sure what's changed, if anything, other than now it's working.

If you haven't tried again, please do so and let us know if you run into the same problem.

Mike

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting