Cannot retrieve any saved files

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Cannot retrieve any saved files

Postby Kokomo36 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 am

This has become a problem overnight. At first, I created a slide show over several days. Then, all of a sudden I couldn't retrieve it. I rte-created it, completed it, and burned it; all worked fine. Tried to retrieve it using "recently found" and got a message that "The File Can Not Be Opened".

As a test, I created a short 5 pic show; saved it, tried to open, got the sme message. If I try File Open, and select the file, nothing happens. I contacted Photodex and ultimately downloaded V5 to replace my V4; same thing happened.

I have uninstalled the program several times, deleted all content I could find, re-installed V% and V4, tested it, and still get the same result... very frustrating!!!

Site Admin

Re: Cannot retrieve any saved files

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 am

When you click on the "Open Recent" menu option you should be presented with a list of saved PSH files. The list will show not only the name of the PSH file, but the physical location of the file on your hard drive. Without selecting one of the PSH files listed, can you go into Windows Explorer to the specified folder and see the PSH file there? What happens if you right-click on the PSH file and select "Open With" and choose Proshow? Does it open?

Mike

Postby Kokomo36 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 am

Mike: Thanks for the interest! I tried that and I don't get the error message, but nothing happens. I also checked the file properties to be certain nothing looked odd. All seems OK.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 am

OK, if you follow the path to where the file is using Mike's description (in windows explorer), try opening the .psh file there in Notepad or Wordpad for example (it is just a text file). Can you open/view the file that way ? (it is a bit cryptic to read, but it IS a text file you can snoop through). If you can read the file, the next test would be to make sure you can create a test file in that directory (sometimes, you get strange "less than helpful" error messages when I file needs to have write permissions for example, but doesn't have it). Are any of these files on external/removable drives ?

mikey (not the same as Mike, our fearless leader :lol: )
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Kokomo36 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:28 am

Here is the latest. I sent the file to Photodex and they have been very responsive (kudos). The saved file was blank. On my own, I installed Gold v4 on another PC, created a test show, saved it and verified that it worked. Copied it to my Mac (using Parallels to run Windows), and opened it successfully. Did a "save as" and tried to re-open. It reverted to the do nothing from "open" and the error message from "open recent". I assume the file is blank again...

Photodex is heading toward an issue with my security program (Norton); however, it's the same program on both PC's.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:42 am

As I indicated, the .psh file is a text file - look at it in Notepad or text file viewer of your choice - is the file blank ? After having a number of issues years ago with Norton (actually Symantec now), I have refused to have Norton anywhere near my systems. I have been much happier since then :twisted: (I have F-Prot antivirus, but there are a number of good ones out there).

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:22 pm

I won't go near Norton either. :evil:

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Kokomo36 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Here is what worked from Photodex:

Since you have Parallels, open the Virtual Machine menu or Alt-click (Option-click) the Parallels icon in the Mac menu bar (in the Crystal view mode) and choose "Configure". Then, in the Virtual Machine Configuration window, click "Options" and select the settings name in the sidebar. Next, select the "Security" category, check the "Isolate Mac from Windows" option, and hit "OK" at the bottom.

It worked!!! many thanks to Photodex!!!

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:29 pm

This is why it is very important to tell us what hardware you have and what version of stuff you are running. It wasn't until your third post that it "slipped out" that it was a Mac running parallels and not on a regular PC (and it turns out the issue was with how that was working). The more info you give us up front, the more likely we are to be able to help you.

mikey

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting