can't upload to Photodex

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

can't upload to Photodex

Postby lindonalta » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:00 pm

I have attempted for the better part of the day to get a show uploaded to Photodex into my gallery.
I tried to upload direct from PSG without success. I created a px file and then tried uploading that to Photodex - without success.
The show is 7 min long and contains a 20 second video in mpg format, psh file is 369 KB and px file is 483 mb.
I have let the show attempt to "upload" to photodex for 2.5 hours and then shut it down.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be in getting the show uploaded and whether the size dif between psh file and px file sounds right?
Linda

Site Admin

Re: can't upload to Photodex

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Linda:

Do you have any security software on your PC that might be blocking the transmission? This has been a problem for some in the past and once they disabled it, or added Photodex.com as an exception, it started working for them.

It may also be a simple problem of Photodex's site being down or running slowly. This happens now and then. You may want to try again later to see if it helps.

Mike

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Mike: Yes I do have security software but this has never been a problem in the past. I did a 3 slide test show and was able to upload it to Photodex without disabling.
I have since attempted again numerous times to upload the show having trouble with - no success - 2.5 hours and still not done. I thought perhaps a video clip in the show might be the problem so I deleted the video clip and attempted again to upload and after 2.5 hrs again abandoned my attempt.
I am going to seek help from Photodex.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:54 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is you have a problem with that show - there is no way a 7 minute show should be 483 megs !! There is something very odd about it to make it that large. I just looked at one of my old shows - my "Birdies and Booms" ( http://www.photodex.com/share/gpsmikey/8a6w8mg4 ) is almost 4 minutes long and is only 21 megabytes. Granted there is not a lot of fancy stuff going on in there, but still, 483 seems way over the top. I would suspect that is the primary problem you are running into is trying to upload that big a file.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 pm

If you are uploading via wireless connection, try doing it hardwired to the internet instead. Wireless routers don't work as fast as direct connections and might be timing out perhaps. Just a thought.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 am

Mikey - after reading your comment, I checked a couple of my other larger shows. One that was 9 min long and 89 slides had a px of 84.7 mb, another that was 18 min long and 155 slides had a px of 229 mb. So I agree there
appears to be some problem in this show that I cant upload - it is only 64 slides and 7 min long and for whatever reason has a huge px. In my problem show I have only used more slide styles than other shows and a video file but I had video files in my other large shows mentioned also. I'm baffled.

Deb: not uploading via wireless connection.

Postby debngar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 am

In my problem show I have only used more slide styles than other shows and a video file but I had video files in my other large shows mentioned also.

Another 2 cents to think about....

The number of slides in a show does not necessarily correlate to the size of the show in MB. As was mentioned, video files increase the show size but also the kind of slide styles and transitions used in the show can do it too. Some slide styles have video clips in them, some transitions have video clips in them. Those video clips can easily increase the size of a show.

For instance, if the love and hearts transition is used in between almost every slide, this increases the size of the show. There are others. I've not used this one in any shows but seem to recall someone mentioning that is has a video clip in it.

You may want to look at the transitions and styles used in that show and whether they contain video clips . They could partly be the cause of your problem.

I just did a quickie test with 3 images, no slide styles, 3 seconds slide time and 3 seconds transition in between. The only difference between the two tests is the use of a different transition which I believe is probably a video clip.

Using AB transition
PSH : 28 KB
PXC: 7112 KB

Using Love and Heart transition:
PSH: 121 KB
PXC: 7283 KB
Last edited by debngar on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 am

I believe (but I'm not sure on this) that while a rendered mpg file like a DVD actually uses what it needs from your source files and drops the rest, a .px file includes the source - what I think this means (I have not experimented with this since I do it different) is that if you have a 500 meg video file and only "use" 30 megs of it in the show, it still includes the entire file, but only shows the portion you have marked for the show. So if you have a 500 meg video with only 30 megs in the show, it still will include the whole 500 megs in the .px file. I tend to trim any video I use in a show in a video editor so I don't see that issue. I would be willing to bet if you took the video out, that show would suddenly drop dramatically in size. Worth a quick test (especially if in looking at the video file you used it is very big). The thing to keep in mind is that the .px file is not just a different format (like mpg2, mp4, wmv etc), but is put together differently and may indeed include all the raw material it uses. Worth experimenting with anyway.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Debbie: I would say 80% of show is AB transition. Not sure how you tell if a slide style or transition has a "video clip" in it. I have used the overlapping pan sequence slide style a few times - is that video clip??

Mike: The video I used in show I had Trimmed down to 16 secs and is 11.8 mb. I had experimented with deleting video out and it did not significantly reduce the px file size still 502 MB with no video.

At this point I give up trying to upload.

Postby debngar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:58 pm

lindonalta wrote:Debbie: I would say 80% of show is AB transition. Not sure how you tell if a slide style or transition has a "video clip" in it. I have used the overlapping pan sequence slide style a few times - is that video clip??

-snip-
At this point I give up trying to upload.

I understand that it's very frustrating that you can't get the video to upload. :roll: It's so disappointing when software doesn't work the way we want. :(

No, the overlapping pan sequence doesn't have a video clip in it. All that one has is 4, still image layers in the slide style. You can tell by looking at the layers in a slide if there is a video layer in the style. Each layer tells you what is in it whether it's an image, solid color or gradient or video file.

As far as whether or not a transition includes video clip, that's a bit more complicated. I could be mistaken in how I figure this but for me, the giveaway, usually, is a moving element or group of elements with a transparent background. After show files are collected, any video clip files will be placed in the video file folder, apart from the image file folder or audio file folder.

You could do a "TOOLS > Collect Show Files" (watch where you place these files) and look in the video file folder to see what winds up in it. But all that isn't going to help much if you still can't get the file to upload. Sigh.... :(

At this point, might be good to contact Photodex as you thought as they might have some other good ideas that might help. Hope you get it worked out so you can successfully upload your show.
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Hmmm - very odd - I expected that when you took the video segment out things would go back to normal (I was sure you were going to find 400 megs of video hiding there). I agree with Debbie on contacting Photodex. If it were my show, what I would do is copy the showname.psh to showname_TEST.psh (outside of Gold) then open the new TEST version in Gold. First see if it still has the size problem. Assuming it does, start deleting items until you find the guilty party - something is screwy here (and it will probably be one of those where once you find it, you go "oh yeah, that makes sense" ... at least that is the way it usually happens to me :-)

By working on a copy of the show, you don't mess up the real one and still can experiment to find out what is going on there. Unfortunately, without having it here on my machine, I'm afraid I can't help much more since I have not seen that before except for when a large video got included in the show. Since you say you did already trim the video (in an external editor?) and it was only 11 megs, that doesn't sound like it (and you said you tried it without the video at all).

The way to (fairly quickly) find where the problem is involves the old "halving algorithm" - open the show, chop off the second half and build the .px -- if it is still huge, the problem is in the first half. Chop off half of the remaining segment - problem still there ? it is in the first 1/4. On the other hand, if you chop off 1/2 and the problem goes away, it is in the second half - reload the show again, than chop the last 1/4 - see if that gets it. With that method, you can home in on the problem area fairly quickly.

mikey

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 am

Mikey: I experimented with my show as you suggested. I have chopped and chopped and chopped to end with a 5 slide show, all AB transition, show is 30 seconds long , psh file is 14.4 kb and px is still 30.7 MB. Then I looked at my picture sizes for these 5 slides - all are 2816 x 1872 and range 3.98-5.01 MB for the total 5 being 21.62 MB.
Frankly I never even thought of my "picture size" whenever building a show before - and these pics I was using my hubby's camera instead of my own normal camera and never checked the settings before using.
My conclusion now as to why the px file is so large is because the pictures used in the show are large. I haven't checked my other shows to compare - but at this point - thats what I'm thinking.

Linda

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am

That may be it - the px does include (as far as I know) the full image (although in a proprietary format so people can't easily extract your pictures from an exe you give them). That changes when the output is rendered to a standard format like MP4, mpeg2 or whatever - the images are resized as needed to fit the size of the video. My camera shoots images that are 4288 * 2848 so they are in the same size range although usually when I am playing around with test shows etc, the images have been resized down to 1024 on the long size. If that is the case, then your "problem show" which you indicates has 64 slides for 7 minutes. If those images are in the 5-6 megs each range, then that could explain 350-400 megs. Be interesting to see what happened if you resized the images down.

mikey

Postby debngar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:49 am

The px file is always larger than the psh file because the psh file is essentially just text and the other is comprised of all the elements that are used to create the show. The psh file can be edited in notepad.

I typically use full size jpgs in my shows which can often range from 3-6 Mb in size
on avg.
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 am

Yes, but the question here is how does the size of the .px file relate to the size of the images used ? The .psh file is indeed a text file and contains pointers to the images etc, but how does the image size relate to the size of the .px file (which is what you upload to Photodex sharing).

mikey

Next

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting