can't upload to Photodex

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Re: can't upload to Photodex

Postby debngar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 am

gpsmikey wrote:Yes, but the question here is how does the size of the .px file relate to the size of the images used ? The .psh file is indeed a text file and contains pointers to the images etc, but how does the image size relate to the size of the .px file (which is what you upload to Photodex sharing).

mikey

Dunno... I don't think there is all that much relationship between the two with regard to size except if a show is bigger they will both increase.

I was just trying to point out why there is a difference in the two because one is text and will never be anywhere near the size of a px file that has the images in it because image files have way more ones and zeros than a simple text file. You know this of course, but others may not. :D
Last edited by debngar on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 am

Mikey: I had no knowledge on how to resize photos, so with a goggle search I found a great program that even me, technically challenged could figure it out. Wow, its great and easy and with one right click on my original picture I can change the size to small, med or large and it leaves my original pic and creates a new (reduced) pic. I found reference to it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeW5Dsy3 ... re=related

Anyhow, I took the 5 pictures in my chopped show and reduced them to "large" size 1624 x 1080 and used them in my 5 slide show. Result: psh file 14.5 and px file only 5.26 MB - a significant difference than 30.7 MB from the 5 slide chopped show. I could see no resulting difference in quality in my new show using the smaller images.

YIPPEE...... this is the "answer" to me on why my original px file so large and does answer to me that yes the photo size effects the size of the px file. Reducing all my images used in my original show should be relatively "painless" with the program I found.

Thank you for your interest and help in trying to resolve my original problem of not being able to upload.

Linda

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Very good ! One of my favorite "batch resizers" is Irfanview (free). It has a "batch" mode built in and allows you to select the images you want to process, set the destination size and hit go. Resulting images are as you specified - including renaming them if you so desire (I usually rename to image_name_1024px.jpg for example when I am resizing to 1024 pixels on the long side).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Mikey: I'm happy with the resizing program I found - does batch also. The re-sizing was easy.
However, a major pain recreating my whole show with the new resized images, slide styles, etc. etc.
Not sure if worth it to go thro all that trouble - just to upload - but curious now if upload will be succesful with the resized pics.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 pm

lindonalta wrote:However, a major pain recreating my whole show with the new resized images, slide styles, etc. etc. Not sure if worth it to go thro all that trouble

If you have all of your images in one folder when creating your show it's not so difficult. Just move your original images to a different folder and replace them with the resized images using the same names. When you open up the show it will look for the images and not care that they are physically different as long as the names are the same. It's just a matter of some copying and pasting, and renaming your newly resized images to match the original names.

Mike

Valued Member

Postby lindonalta » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks for the tip Mike.

By reducing the size of images my px file was reduced to 129 MB and I got the show to upload successfully.

Postby David Reano » Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 am

I have had that problem since reloading Windows 7 because of a virus situation. I have reloaded Producer, emptied the startup programs,tried different browsers and eliminated some programs, etc. and yet the problem persists. One of the suggestions from ProShow Tech Support was to upload while on Safemode. THAT DID WORK. Another suggestion was to create a Web Show and up load from Sharing. That worked as well, but took 1.5 hours the first time and the size of the file was over 400 mb ?? Another show was more reasonable at about 70 mb and faster as well. Try one of those angles. Meanwhile, not being able to upload normally from the computer remains a mystery. David

Previous

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting