File>Collect Show Files Issue

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

File>Collect Show Files Issue

Postby RalphTomaccio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Now that I'm done with my slideshows, I wanted to archive everything on a DVD so, I went to File>Collect Show Files and saved everything in a new folder. Everything seems to be there. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see if I could open the show and have things appear as they should using the collected files. I opened the new copy of the .psh file. It opened and said it generated new thumbnails, but no thumbnails appeared in the timeline. They were all black! All the captions were there, but against the black background. transition and slide times seem okay as well. Just no thumbnails.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks!

Re: File>Collect Show Files Issue

Postby cherub » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure what caused this, but try the following:
Close ProShow.
With Windows Explorer, go to the folder where you collected your show, delete the file with the extension PXC (YourShowName.pxc). This is the cache file for your show and it will be recreated when you next open ProShow
Make sure you DON"T delete the file with the extension PSH because that's your show.

Open Producer and try to open your collected show again. Let us know if this solved your problem.

Postby RalphTomaccio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Followed your suggestions with the same results as before.

Do the actual image files that were collected need to be associated with the show file somehow even though the correct file names appear in the timeline? Is that connection broken maybe?

I did a File>Find Missing Files and got a "There are no missing files in this show" message as well.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:08 pm

In the past I've had issues where the thumbnails did not appear until my pc was restarted. Try that, maybe it'll help and it certainly can't hurt.

Kathy

Postby RalphTomaccio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Kathy,

Good suggestion and worth trying but, unfortunately, it didn't make a difference.

Ralph

Postby cherub » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Ralph, what version are you using?

Postby RalphTomaccio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 pm

ProShow Gold 4.52.3053

Postby cherub » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Ralph,
I have Gold 4.5 on my computer and I just collected a show, without any issues.
What bothers me in what you wrote above is the fact that you are saying "It opened and said it generated new thumbnails"
I haven't seen such a message, and I don't recall seeing such message before when I collected show files, either in Gold or in Producer.
By my understanding, "generating thumbnails" doesn't refer to the thumbnails in the timeline. It refers to the thumbnails in your file list - where you see the list of images, and the marks on the pictures that were used in the show.
I think that something went wrong in the order of things, and I don't know what else to say, except to collect your show again, to a new directory, and see if things are better.
Try this order:
Open your old show
Collect show files to a new directory.
CLOSE ProShow.
Open ProShow,
File > Open > Navigate to your Collected show and open it.

For short, I think that closing ProShow after you collect the show, and reopening it, will make a difference.

Postby RalphTomaccio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Following your directions to the letter, I tried on three different slideshows and am having the same results as before.

What I didn't notice earlier, and is still occurring, is that the soundtracks are not brought into the show upon opening as well. Yet, when I look in the folders for each show, all the images and music files are there.

This is getting frustrating as I would like to remove all the original files from my computer. But, I can't and won't do that until I feel comfortable I could use my archived files/shows in the future if necessary.

Postby cherub » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Ralph,
I'm sorry, but at this point, I don't know what else to suggest, except to call Photodex. :?
Sorry about that.

Postby texan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:04 am

Ralph:

This is a "long Shot" but are saving your collected files to your Hard drive and NOT an external drive or a CD/DVD.

This might cause the behavior you're describing...........???
Texan

Postby tdew » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 am

When I collect the show files, at the end of the process there's a message that says something like "do you want to open the show in the new location now?" Have you tried that?

Postby RalphTomaccio » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:27 am

I have yet to try saving directly to DVD, so I'm not sure if that will make the difference.

I have NEVER gotten the "Do you want to open the show in the new location now?" message.

I'll try the DVD approach later.

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:32 am

tdew wrote:When I collect the show files, at the end of the process there's a message that says something like "do you want to open the show in the new location now?" Have you tried that?

That's only in ver. 5
Ralph wrote above that he's using 4.5

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:41 am

RalphTomaccio wrote:I have NEVER gotten the "Do you want to open the show in the new location now?" message.

That says there's something really basic wrong--I've tried a couple things with both version 4 and 5 and that message always comes up and the collect files process always works, I can't make it fail. I don't know how you could be doing something that makes it fail and I can't imagine how the code could manage it -- but if that's what you're seeing, then I'm out of ideas here, too.

Grasping at straws, you could remove and reinstall PSG. You could also go through the process again this time making notes on exactly what you did, i.e., this menu, click here. But reporting the issue to PhotoDex and providing them a screen shot or two might be the best hope to figure it out.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Next

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting