File>Collect Show Files Issue

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Re: File>Collect Show Files Issue

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 am

Dick,

In ver. 4.5 (both Gold and Producer) the message is "Collect Resources Completed" "ProShow is done copying files"

Postby tdew » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:41 am

Mona, I missed that! I didn't think I'd used version 5 enough yet to be aware of that notice.
Dick, I did check my version 4 - and it just says that it finished collecting the files.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Yeah, the offer to open it is new in 5 but the point is that when it's done I get the expected result -- the show moved and so did the files. Mystery to me how it could get messed up.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby RalphTomaccio » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:13 am

texan wrote:Ralph:

This is a "long Shot" but are saving your collected files to your Hard drive and NOT an external drive or a CD/DVD.

This might cause the behavior you're describing...........???

Okay everyone. I think I have discovered the problem, and "texan" came closest to the answer. Allow me to explain.

I run Windows XP SP3, but I run it on an iMac in a Bootcamp partition with Parallels software which allows sharing all of Mac's resources with Windows, including the desktop. Generally, it works very, very well and I am quite pleased with its operation. Unfortunately, every once in awhile there's something that doesn't quite work the way it should. Now, this is what I think happened with the issue incurred:

When I was in Windows running PSG, I saved the collected files to the desktop, which is the Mac desktop. I think that in the process of doing so some kind of "disconnect" occurred, for a lack of a better word. All the files were there but, for some reason, there was something causing the files to not work properly.

I then tried collecting all the show's files, this time specifically choosing the desktop within Windows XP. I opened the newly created .psh file and everything opened as it should have. I received a message saying that the files were missing and asked if I wanted to locate them. Once I browsed to just one file, all the rest followed automatically and the show opened as it should have. Runs fine!

I then proceeded to take my three shows and burn them to DVD's for archival. Once burned, I transferred the files from the DVD back to my Windows XP desktop to confirm I could open them at a later date if needed. All is well!

When I determined the desktop I was saving to could be the issue, I remembered that when I first started using PSG I had run into a similar problem. I think it was with sound files that were saved in iTunes on the Mac. Once I moved them to the Windows desktop, all worked well.

Thanks to all who contributed their expertise in helping to solve my problem.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:58 am

Ah - sounds like another case of "transparent to the user" (which means you can't see the problem). The sequence you describe certainly sounds most plausible. One thing to keep in mind that I have found helpful in the past - the .psh file (your main show file) is a text file - it can be opened/viewed in wordpad or other text editor utility. While it is not "easy reading", it does make sense and if you look at it, you can see the paths that the file has for each image in the show. Often times in a situation like this, you can get a clue just what is confused.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 am

For anybody interested, Photodex just uploaded a tutorial on "collect show files" to YouTube for anyone interested. It does a good job of explaining how it all works and includes screenshots etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXYqfXE8_54

[edit] - one thing I should add is that while they don't make it clear in the tutorial, when the new version of the show file (the .psh file) is created in the "collect show files", all pointers in the file now are pointing to the collected media, NOT the original media that was used to create the show). When you click on the button to use the collected show version, you are now using the pointers to the collected media. Making changes to the original media (images, sound, video) will not be seen in the new version of the show - you would have to modify the collected version of the media for it to take effect. I have suggested to Photodex they really need to make that clearer in the tutorial and in the dialog box that you get when you run the "collect show files".

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Previous

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting