Slide stopping briefly

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Slide stopping briefly

Postby PhotoGene47 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 pm

I have a problem that is most irritating. When I create a show, there appears to be a sticking point in one or more places for approximately one second. The problem does not go away when I change the time on the slide, move the slide where the problem occurred, change the transition, change the transition time, change the music, change the slide style, et cetera. Nothing is more readily observed than a flaw like this.

I wrote customer support and they replied that ProShow does not handle external drives well so put all slides on an internal drive. I did as requested but nothing changed. I sure hope somebody out there has a clue as to what is happening and how to fix it.

What am I running?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, SP1 and all updates installed
RAM loaded is 8 GB but due to the 32-bit limitation of ProShow Producer, I can use less than half of that amount.
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Hard disk: 375 GB free
Photodex ProShow Producer 5.0.3206

If anyone knows the solution, please reply. I am beginning to feel like a dunce. This is the first version whre I have encountered this problem.

Re: Slide stopping briefly

Postby texan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Need more info

How many slides are in the show ??

Does it always stick in the same area??

Have you deleted PS and reinstalled it??

Have you create a new show with "different" slides and still have the problem??

Have you moved the show (And all slides) to a different PC?? Created the same problem??

These are just brainstoriming ideas that I would try to determine if the problem is with
slides, pcs, etc.......

Version 5 in general is woring fine.......

Hope this helps a little bit
Texan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm

First thing is whether you're seeing this in preview mode or in a finished product/output (a DVD or an EXE, etc). Such motion stutter isn't uncommon in preview mode but once rendered to a finished product it usually goes away. So, if you're judging by the preview, render it to an EXE and see what happens.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby PhotoGene47 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Reply to Texan:
1. There are 177 slides in one of six shows in a project. It generally sticks in the same area even when recreating the show. However, the time it stops is not the same in each show where the problem occurs.
2. Pursuant to additional information I have from support, I have Collected the show files and put them in one folder. I have deleted the .pxc files and recreated them. Now, I have just uninstalled the program. I will reboot, then download a fresh package from Photodex and reinstall.
3. Yes, it occurs on different slides and not always the same ones. I have recreated the shows from scratch with the same result.
4. No other computer to use as this is my sole computer.
You seem to have been thinking along the same lines as myself. I appreciate your help.

For DickK:
I have not yet created a DVD with this project. It is still in preview mode. This halted me from going further. However, if the reinstall fails to resolve the issue, I will certainly try creating a DVD after I have finished the timing sequences. I figured a stall would translate to the final product as well. Thanks for the tip.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Personally, I wouldn't potentially waste the DVD media as a first step -- try making the EXE. If that works, so will the DVD. Or more properly if the DVD doesn't work, there's a different problem.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby PhotoGene47 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Dick,

You were right. The problem did not continue into the DVD. I have another problem but I have not located the source yet. The DVD wants to loop back through the shows [project] again yet I am certain I disabled looping in the output portion of the creation process. I will try creating the executable in the future to eliminate wasting DVDs. I use the DVD-R. At any rate, I would like to thank you for that advice else I would never have tried it without resolving it during the preview stage. You saved me a lot of time and grief.

Postby bonalymac » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 am

The problem could be one of many. Some complex slide styles do tax the PC's processor quite heavily, as the PC is building the show "on the fly". If you have too many layers/videos/etc for it to process, it can cause hiccups.

Once converted to video in an exe file or DVd, that problem does not arise, as the complexity has already been resolved into a compiled piece of video.

One thing to try, is to create a copy of the show, and change the slide style (if you are using one) at the point where the problem(s) arises, and see if this makes a difference. For now, just pick any style to see if a change makes a difference. If no styles are in use is the slide complex? too many layers? too much video? Try and simplify it.

If none of the apply, then another issue needs investigating. Sorry
Colin

Postby PhotoGene47 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:02 pm

As a follow-up, I did try making an exe at the same time I made the slide show on the DVD [something I never tried previously]. It, too, had the hiccups though the DVD slide show did not. I have never had this problem prior to version 5. It may have something to do with video processing changes Photodex has made. My computer is approximately two years old with an ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card. It has not given me problems up to this point but it is a possibility. As for complex slide styles, yes, I thought of it and did try making changes - even building new shows from scratch - to have the same thing happen. I am a person that likes to review frequently to make certain everything is still okay when creating a slide show. As you can imagine, this is driving me nuts. I have even thought about making smaller shows but one of the shows with this problem occurred at just under two minutes so that is no longer an option. The problem appears to be with my end as I have not seen others with this problem. The one thing I wish Photodex would do is to finally create a 64-bit program. I cannot tell you how many times my program shuts down unceremoniously after warning me that it has run out of memory. But, that is straying - or at least I think it is. I do appreciate your help and thank you for your suggestions. Gene

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting