Program crashes when "creating" dvd

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Program crashes when "creating" dvd

Postby hally » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:56 am

I am a first time poster and new at this program and need some advice. I am making a dvd with about 2400 slides. I know that's a lot but they are of a 14 day vaCay in Italy with 14 friends. Here is the problem, after importing the picts and when I start to create dvd it gets about 32% done then it says "program has stopped working" and shuts down Any idea what is wrong or what to do ?
Thank you in advance

Re: Program crashes when "creating" dvd

Postby obeeone » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 pm

G'day Hally

Have you seen the message to do with memory issues? It might help you depending on your system. Read everything but have a goog look at the message at the bottom of page 1.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19518

Regards

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Hally -- First, welcome to the forum!

Okay, let's start with the idea of a slide show with 2400 images. While there's no limit in ProShow, per se, that's too many slides to make an effective show. 2400 pictures shown one-at-a-time with 3s view, 3s transition will require 4 hours of video. I doubt anyone will be awake for very long, certainly not long enough to finish it--if you could get it on a DVD which you can't. On a normal DVD, you can figure 1 hour of video with the quality settings at the high levels. Blu-ray will be more--not sure what but at least double that.

Making the assumption that all 2400 are really worth including, then the only way to go about this is to divide them into groups, maybe by day or maybe by place visited or whatever makes sense. Make separate shows for each group then include as many shows as possible on one DVD using a menu to select which one(s) you want to watch. Each show should be no more than about 15 min long, typically that will be around 150 slides with 150 to 300 or more images, depending on how many slides actually use more than picture. In practical terms, that's about all an audience can actually watch and maintain the interest. Make as many DVDs as needed. However, I would go back through the pictures and pull out the best, most interesting 150-300 images and make a "highlights" show first.

Now, as to the failure to complete the rendering. That's a common failure and you'll see lots of threads discussing that. In your case, the approach I recommend is to create a new show with only a couple hundred (or less) images in it. Render that out to an EXE to see if it works. Then go create an ISO file (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6124) so you don't waste DVD media and because it's better to use ProShow to create an ISO and then use something else to actually write the ISO to the media.

Typically, when ProShow fails during the render it's because there's something in the show that the rendering software can't handle. Usually it's an MP3 music file but very occasionally it's an image file. In your case, you may also be encountering a limitation of the computer to handle the size of the output file, another reason to start with something smaller. If you have trouble with a smaller file, post again and we'll see if we can't get it sorted out.

Again welcome!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Wisler » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:24 pm

I can offer you to rise virtual memory of your computer.

By -> On my computer push right click and get in properties -> Advanced -> Performance ( settings ) -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory -> Change.

And change it to 2x value then it is now. In this way you will extend your virtual memory and it will not crash then it is on the hardest load. If it will crash again try rise it some more. If it will not help you try other tricks.

Hope it will help you ;)

Postby chriscat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:21 am

Hi
I m having the same trouble with proshow 5 , i can use proshow 4.51 and create a disc no problem then i upgrade to proshow 5 and now it crashes the computer whilst it is rendering the dvd , i have contacted proshow and to no avail , just seems to think its my computer however i have another computer and it doesn,t like that one either , one is vista duo core , and my one is samsung RF510 super power machine which is why i got it as proshow likes lots of memory , so it has 4gb and quad core super i5 , nvida geforce with cuda what more could i do .
Anyhow i was wondering if there is any way proshow could actually tune into my computer and watch what happens because it is something to do with proshow 5 ,because my previous version worked , i feel so upset that this can't be fixed .Strange thing is when i am ready to create the dvd only iso is highlighted i couldn't choose simulate test without actually burning as it is in grey and unable to tick .
Now sometimes the rendering goes to 35% , then 56% and 75% even as far as 93% i thought my luck was in when it went that far , then the computer switches off.
I have reformatted my computer which was a big job to do , having to save all my files , which are now on an external hard drive , i only put my files on the computer when i want to use them, so as you can imagine i have lots of space on it .
I just can believe this can't be sorted , it has to be something in Proshow 5 !!
I love my Proshow and have even got friends to buy it (not with any discount ) and one friend is using 5 on an very old computer which is quite slow and is xp , so i don't understand why oh why mine won't work.
I anyone has any ideas i would be most grateful , i know some have already and i have tried them to know avail , i think proshow need to see my computer via live internet connection somehow then they may see what it is , the tech guys i just can't get to !!
Chrisitna

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting