An older VCD exe file made with ProShow Gold

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

An older VCD exe file made with ProShow Gold

Postby tdew » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 am

Hi,
Back in 2003 I made a show with ProShow Gold. I burned it to a CD - in VCD format. It also has an .exe file.
It works fine, but I wonder if there's a way to extract the video file and copy it to my vimeo acct.
I know that with a DVD you can copy and then rename the vob files to mpg ones. Will the same thing work with the .vcd files?

I don't think there's any way to open the .exe in ProShow and work from there, but would love to hear that I'm wrong!

Re: An older VCD exe file made with ProShow Gold

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 am

The vcd files should just be mpeg1 I believe - yes, you can work with them (they are just files on the disk). Here is a link to info on the VCD format:
http://www.videohelp.com/vcd
As far as the .exe goes, I am not aware of any way to extract stuff from it (and Photodex has said in the past they did that deliberately to keep people from stealing media from other folks shows), however, I would think if you have a video out from your system that is a format you could capture with a camcorder etc, you should be able to play it full screen and capture that way - I would expect that could give significantly better results than the VCD files which are fairly low resolution (it would depend on the settings you had used when creating the .exe file in the first place). Best solution though would have been to keep a copy of the original show source :twisted: Yeah, I know ...

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby tdew » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks Mikey, I'll try it and will report back.
Watching it on the computer today it didn't look bad at all.
Pictures had been scanned at good resolution to start with, so the vcd format wasn't too bad.
The show was pretty straightforward too - nothing fancy
It WAS WAY BACK in 2003 though - so I didn't always keep copies. Didn't have a dvd burner back then and storage was more expensive. I'm lucky I have the cd at all!

Postby tdew » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Follow up
The link to http://www.videohelp.com/vcd actually had the answer I was looking for - too bad I only followed it after I'd found that changing the file type for the .vcd files didn't work and so had taken the pictures from the cd and made new shows.

Instead, you need to extract the .DAT files from the MPEGAV folder and change those to .mpg

I've now collected all the files for the new shows...

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:02 am

Glad progress has been made. I keep the videohelp site handy since I am forever finding something there that explains some detail I am looking for. :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby tdew » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 pm

I used it a LOT, back when the burners and players were more temperamental and would refuse to work with certain brands of disk. It was a good place to check and find out what would work. Seems not to be one problem that's just about solved nowadays.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting