Burning for PC, Xbox 360 etc

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Burning for PC, Xbox 360 etc

Postby sirree » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm

The choice in "create" is wonderful...but confusing! Two issues arose on slide show where detail was key. And two routes to "play".

1. DVD TO PLAY ON PC
I created an exe and wi window 800x600 and BOTH renders at 1280x1024, instant on. Worked fine for one person, other person's PC (older software) said "NO DISC IN DRAWER". Questions become:
a. Are window and render sizes cool for ANY PC?
b. Would "older" pc just not recognise disc brand? Or is response just total incomprehension of content?
c. Am shipping some to UK for PC play and want to be sure sure sure they'll play! But do I really have to know specs of their PC? There must be a middle of the road way to do this - yes?

2. DVD TO PLAY THRU XBOX360 TO 42" HD
a. HOW? I used the Xbox create and saved file...I see it's wmv. My burner won't handle that.
b. SO can I burn a DVD dvd with specs on executable to make it playable

Thanks in advance

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Burning for PC, Xbox 360 etc

Postby DickK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:10 pm

First welcome to the forum!

sirree wrote:1. DVD TO PLAY ON PC
I created an exe and wi window 800x600 and BOTH renders at 1280x1024, instant on. Worked fine for one person, other person's PC (older software) said "NO DISC IN DRAWER". Questions become:
a. Are window and render sizes cool for ANY PC?
b. Would "older" pc just not recognise disc brand? Or is response just total incomprehension of content?
c. Am shipping some to UK for PC play and want to be sure sure sure they'll play! But do I really have to know specs of their PC? There must be a middle of the road way to do this - yes?

If you created an EXE then you didn't create a DVD as output from ProShow--you created the EXE and then wrote it to the DVD--right? That's different than making a DVD which will play with a TV and DVD player. As for why the other person's PC couldn't read the DVD the only thing we can say is that happens sometimes. Writing the DVD again might make it then work as might using a different type or brand of DVD.

If what you've created is an EXE put on a DVD then it will be usable on any Windows-based PC regardless of US vs UK (or where ever). Creating a video DVD is another matter but that's not what you said you did.

Also, if what you're sending people is an EXE for them to use on the computer they are likely to find it work much better if they copy the EXE off the DVD and onto the hard drive. Many machines can't run the slideshow smoothly off the DVD but it will work fine when run from the hard drive.

sirree wrote:2. DVD TO PLAY THRU XBOX360 TO 42" HD
a. HOW? I used the Xbox create and saved file...I see it's wmv. My burner won't handle that.
b. SO can I burn a DVD dvd with specs on executable to make it playable

No experience with an XBox so I don't know what it can handle, but if it knows what to do with a WMV video file, then all you should have to do is the same thing as above--just write the file to a DVD and load it on the XBox. I don't know what you mean but that the burner won't handle that, it's just a file to put the media like the EXE or any other file.

Hope that helps but keep asking questions if its not clear.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Re: Burning for PC, Xbox 360 etc

Postby sirree » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Dick!

To avoid the floundering paras below...if you can answer query in very last sentence, I will go learn what to do.

Yes I did create an EXE and then dump it on a disc, did that as per advice from PSG Cstmr Svc after asking what to do for play on a PC with great quality. Sadly can't expect people who will rcv to copy down...the disc should slip into the drawer and play. My goal is super clear image...no mushed out TV screen view PLUS I find audio also degrades on TV.
Er, where am I?
SO do I burn a DVD? Using DVD!! I fully realise anything will play on a PC - so it won't matter if NTSC is sent to UK, right? And the quality will be crystal clear, yes? And will the info I entered into executable (in the DVD create boxes) re window size and rendering override standard settings?

Mentally (maybe I AM mental!) I see two DVD's - one is the phsyical disc, the other is a format. And all of the options on "Create" ultimately would land/burn to a DVD disc.

TO PRESERVE YR TIME N SANITY for more dire issues, do you know if Photodex has a "for dummies" explanation of all the create options? Their HELP item is stunningly useless for the naive newbie.

again - thanks ciao for now

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting