"Page curl" and "page peel" transitions

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

"Page curl" and "page peel" transitions

Postby lisabel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:30 am

hi all,
I'm new here, this is my first post.
first of all, I'm totally happy with this software... even if I'm just working at my first show, i managed to do quite a lot so far, partly with my tries and partly by reading some helpful posts here.

One thing that is puzzling me a bit is page transitions...following the suggestions, and my taste too, i'm not using many transitions in the show, but one i'd like to use now and then is the page curl (or page peel), as it is a nice way of changing the situation in the show.
But what happens is that the transitions don't seem to behave the same every time...i try to explain (not easy!), one time i apply the transition and it works smoothly (the old image 'curls', or appears on the back of the 'peeled' page, while the new one appears underneath).
Some other times though it's just black on black (like unfolding a book of completely black pages), and only after the transition is over the new image appears.
Some other times the transition turns out to be just like a 'cut' when played!

Is there a bug in the transitions (which i doubt as the software seems so excellent!) or is it me doing something wrong? (more likely!).
I tried again last night and i noticed that even in the transitions that worked fine (and still do), if i try to change them and then i bring back the original one, it doesn't play fine anymore... I'm puzzled!

i haven't managed so far to find out if there's something that links the different behaviour, like the use of layers or effects (as for this, my show is pretty basic for now, i only use some zooming here and there and layers in a very few slides).

I haven't tried to reinstall yet, which I might do tonight.

Maybe someone else has experienced the same?
If needed I'll try to post an example of what i mean for you to understand better.

I'll be very grateful for any help.

thank you,
Isabella

Re: "Page curl" and "page peel" transitions

Postby trulytango » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:14 am

Yes, I think you should create a short sample show that displays what you are seeing.
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby donhall914 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 am

I, too, have had a problem with the page curl transition. When I first got PSG about a month ago, I tried lots of transitions to see how they worked. The page curl transition worked fine. However, in the past week, I have tried it a couple of times and when the transition starts, I get a black old photo and a black new photo. All other transitions that I have tried work as designed.

Postby lisabel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:00 pm

donhall914 wrote:I, too, have had a problem with the page curl transition. When I first got PSG about a month ago, I tried lots of transitions to see how they worked. The page curl transition worked fine. However, in the past week, I have tried it a couple of times and when the transition starts, I get a black old photo and a black new photo. All other transitions that I have tried work as designed.

Yes, donhall, that's exactly what i get! glad i'm not alone....
Like you I started using PSG a couple of months ago and in the first tries the page curl transitions worked fine (like all the others i've tried so far). In the first show i've done these transitions STILL work fine. But if i try to use them now (even in the same show), they dont work as expected.

I uploaded a very short sample on youtube for you experts to check, where i used 4 page curls (wrongly resulting in a black old photo and a black new photo) and then 2 page peels (resulting in cut transitions).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbQrJ5eGNnQ

I just tried deleting the .pxc, .phd, .cfg files and tried reinstalling the software, but i still get the same behaviour.

Any ideas?
thank you all for your help
Isabella

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:34 am

A little idea?

Have you looked to the Keyframes of the pictures?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:39 am

Since this is the Gold vs. Producer section, I presume the user has Gold and no keyframe manipulation possible.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby lisabel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:45 am

DickK wrote:Since this is the Gold vs. Producer section, I presume the user has Gold and no keyframe manipulation possible.
Dick

thanks Dick, you beated me to it...i was writing the same! as from previous posts, both me and donhall use PSG, so no keyframes i'm afraid...
any other ideas...? this seems so weird, as it used to work fine and now it doesn't...and since i reinstalled i doubt something got corrupted...

Postby heckydog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:15 am

The youtube video looks like you're seeing the mask instead of what the mask is supposed to be masking.

Don't know how it affects things in PSG (I have PSP) but maybe the layer has been changed. Check to see if it's still designated as a masking layer.

Joe

Postby cherub » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 am

Joe,
This is the Gold section.
Users of Gold can't check masks, because there are no masks in Gold.
The transitions were made in Producer and can be USED by Gold users because Photodex designed them this way. But using them is all they can do with them.

My advice is to contact Photodex and explain the problem.
Could be a video problem too, because these transitions are based on wmw video files (the page curls only). I seem to remember someone mentioning that Win 7 has some issues with wmv files created in XP, but I don't remember exactly what was the solution .
Last edited by cherub on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lisabel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:57 am

thanks Cherub, i will do that!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Agree with Mona completely -- bounce this one off PhotoDex and see what they say.

This machine is Win7 and I just created a test show using 5 different page-type transitions and few others as well and all of them worked as expected.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting