Constant lockups and crashes!

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Constant lockups and crashes!

Postby Eddie2001 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi all,

I recently registered my trial copy of PSG and while it works well for the most part, there are several irritating bugs in the program that didn't show up in the trial version!

First is while making a PC exe file, sometimes it will completely lockup while gathering resources. Once at 2%, once at 28% and the 3rd try it worked. Once locked up I had to use Task Manager to kill the program and then start over.

Secondly, on the PC exe file it did create, the menu is in very low resolution with jagged edges on the text and image. However, if I start and then immediately stop and restart the show, the menu and image are nice and clear as they should be. The same show burned to Blu-Ray has the menu correct to begin with, so this must be a bug in the PC exe creating process.

Third is that when burning a Blu-Ray it will sometimes just close for no reason after rendering the video, other times it works fine. And the Blu-Ray menu is fine in high resolution (see bug 2 above).

Fourth issue is that it dumps everything onto the desktop - backup files, saved menus, etc. How does one tell it to save those files elsewhere? Speaking of backup files, why does it not just delete older backups when a new backup is made? It is annoying to have to manually delete dozens of backup files! And yes, I hit the save button a lot while doing a show account the freezes and lockups.

Fifth problem is that the audio on the menu keeps looping (playing over and over) - once is enough! How to stop that? I can't find anything in the help files about this.

Show is 212 slides, some with audio. PC is Windows 7 84 bit with 12 gig ram, Intel 920 cpu at 2.67 ghz. All patches and service packs applied to Windows.

Any comments or ideas are most welcome - thanks!

Ted in Mesa AZ

Re: Constant lockups and crashes!

Postby cherub » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:03 am

Hi,
I'm going to refer only to the 2nd part of your question, about saving the DVD menu.

You do have the option of saving the DVD menu.
Go to "Create DVD" > Menu
Look on the top right corner of your screen. Do you see three icons? By pressing on the right most icon, the one that looks like a disk, you can save the menu to your computer (Save Menu Configuration).
When you next want to use this menu, you must LOAD the saved file from your computer . You do this by pressing on the central icon, the one that looks like a folder (Load Menu Configuration)).

Postby Eddie2001 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks Mona for the quick reply....and indeed that does work.

Ted

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:24 pm

Eddie2001 wrote:First is while making a PC exe file, sometimes it will completely lockup while gathering resources. Once at 2%, once at 28% and the 3rd try it worked. Once locked up I had to use Task Manager to kill the program and then start over.

Odd, haven't seen that one myself. Typically if ProShow has trouble during a render process its because of a video or MP3 file that it doesn't know how to handle. It's picky and actually expects the files to follow the standards but many don't although most applications will accept or ignore whatever is nonstandard. To figure it out means either deleting stuff one-by-one or deleting everything and adding them back one-by-one.
A little more info here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6261

Eddie2001 wrote:Third is that when burning a Blu-Ray it will sometimes just close for no reason after rendering the video, other times it works fine. And the Blu-Ray menu is fine in high resolution (see bug 2 above).

We've all found issues with DVD burning from within ProShow. Most of us find creating an ISO image file (it shows up as a device like a drive) and then burn with something else to be more reliable.

Eddie2001 wrote:Fourth issue is that it dumps everything onto the desktop - backup files, saved menus, etc. How does one tell it to save those files elsewhere? Speaking of backup files, why does it not just delete older backups when a new backup is made? It is annoying to have to manually delete dozens of backup files! And yes, I hit the save button a lot while doing a show account the freezes and lockups.

The backup files are tiny and having a lot of them can be really handy if you ever need to fall back a few versions. But they shouldn't be saved to the desktop. The should be saved to where ever you're saving the show and that should be a separate folder somewhere just for the show and it's resources. If it's going to the desktop that means that's where it's saving the show and it, I think, means that's where you told it to go. You can move all that to another folder.

Eddie2001 wrote:Fifth problem is that the audio on the menu keeps looping (playing over and over) - once is enough! How to stop that? I can't find anything in the help files about this.

Audio on the menu? The only way I know how to get that is by having audio in a video/show that's attached to the menu--if that's it then you're stuck with it, that just loops. If you mean something else I need some info as to how you got an audio file attached to the menu.

Hope that will help,
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Eddie2001 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Odd, haven't seen that one myself. Typically if ProShow has trouble during a render process its because of a video or MP3 file that it doesn't know how to handle. It's picky and actually expects the files to follow the standards but many don't although most applications will accept or ignore whatever is nonstandard. To figure it out means either deleting stuff one-by-one or deleting everything and adding them back one-by-one.
A little more info here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6261

***I think I may have figured this one out...PSG does *not* like any other program using the computer while it is 'gathering resources'...I made it crash by trying to go on-line and surf while waiting for it to do its thing. Another time I made it crash by starting Photoshop. You would think with 12 gig ram there would be enough for all programs! The last 2 PC.exe's I made worked perfectly account I didn't start any other program or use any that were already running in the background.

Eddie2001 wrote:Third is that when burning a Blu-Ray it will sometimes just close for no reason after rendering the video, other times it works fine. And the Blu-Ray menu is fine in high resolution (see bug 2 above).

We've all found issues with DVD burning from within ProShow. Most of us find creating an ISO image file (it shows up as a device like a drive) and then burn with something else to be more reliable.

***Not sure how to make this iso file? But again not using any other programs while it is rendering or burning seems to make PSG happy - I've burned several Blu-Ray discs with no problems lately. PSG must be a resource hog and gets mad when it can't have all of them :D

Eddie2001 wrote:Fourth issue is that it dumps everything onto the desktop - backup files, saved menus, etc. How does one tell it to save those files elsewhere? Speaking of backup files, why does it not just delete older backups when a new backup is made? It is annoying to have to manually delete dozens of backup files! And yes, I hit the save button a lot while doing a show account the freezes and lockups.

The backup files are tiny and having a lot of them can be really handy if you ever need to fall back a few versions. But they shouldn't be saved to the desktop. The should be saved to where ever you're saving the show and that should be a separate folder somewhere just for the show and it's resources. If it's going to the desktop that means that's where it's saving the show and it, I think, means that's where you told it to go. You can move all that to another folder.

***I remember now that when I installed the trial version I told it to store everything on the desktop, but now I would like to change that. I even uninstalled PSG, cleaned the registry and then re-installed PSG. But it never asked me where to save files to when re-installing. This is rather irritating to me...most programs in the preferences options give you a choice on where to save files.

Eddie2001 wrote:Fifth problem is that the audio on the menu keeps looping (playing over and over) - once is enough! How to stop that? I can't find anything in the help files about this.

Audio on the menu? The only way I know how to get that is by having audio in a video/show that's attached to the menu--if that's it then you're stuck with it, that just loops. If you mean something else I need some info as to how you got an audio file attached to the menu.

***When I go to burn a Blu-Ray I click on create custom menu and in there I can add music to the menu. I then save it (thanks to Mona for telling me how to do that) and then go ahead and burn the disc. When finished I put the disc in my Blu-Ray player and the menu pops up and plays the music associated with it. I have added other music to the slides themselves, but that is stored in a different area (slide sounds).

Any ideas on this one?? I want to make some PC.exe's for friends but the poor resolution and jagged edges on the menu screen would be a turn off to them...

***Secondly, on the PC exe file it did create, the menu is in very low resolution with jagged edges on the text and image. However, if I start and then immediately stop and restart the show, the menu and image are nice and clear as they should be. The same show burned to Blu-Ray has the menu correct to begin with, so this must be a bug in the PC exe creating process.***

Thanks for the help!

Ted

Postby PLT » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:42 pm

I just upgraded to ProShow 5 and immediately had issues. (Never had with any other version.) Unable to type any text or Title page. After first letter the program freezes. Attempted Wizard and get "error" notification on every slide.
Any one else having these troubles, esp. with text?

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:25 pm

In general, the answer is no. That said, how much RAM and other system resources do you have and what version of Windows are you running? Not having enough RAM would be my first guess since you don't provide any system info. Nothing causes strange things faster than not enough memory.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby PLT » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Running Windows 7 on a Mac via Parallels. Plenty of RAM... PSG is basically the only program I run on the Windows side.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:40 pm

I seem to remember someone recently commenting on issues with a Mac running parallels recently, but I don't remember just what the issue was (GPU acceleration ? don't remember off hand). I don't run parallels on my iMac, so I don't have any experience down that path - my windows machines are still XP Pro (except for the one that went over to the "other side" and is running Linux (Ubuntu) as a server.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby PLT » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Thank you for your consideration....hoping that the Folks at Photodex will come up with an answer, or that someone else on forum might have a suggestion. :)

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Make sure when you talk to the Photodex folks, you tell them just what hardware and memory etc. you have "lots" is not overly helpful most of the time. The more detail you can give people trying to help, the more likely they are to recognize where the issue may be.

mikey

Postby chriscat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 am

Hi

Yes i have the same , i start to render a show and it crashes and the computer goes off, i have contacted proshow and they seem to think its my system and there is nothing they can do , however if i use my previous version 4 .51 i can put the show on there and burn 3 discs , yet if its in proshow 5 which it was created on , it crashes and turns off computer .
I have reformatted my computer , my system is i5 with 4gb lots of space on it to , duo core , no reason for this to happen , and the fact that it works in version 4.51 seems to say that the problem is with proshow 5.
I have put my 4.51 version back on my computer having bought proshow 5 (which i think is a waste now ) and am most annoyed that there is nothing they can do , i thought these days they could see your computer somehow and check it out some way .
I have used proshow since 2005 and have loved it so as you can imagine i am disappointed.

Christina

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 pm

chriscat wrote:Yes i have the same , i start to render a show and it crashes and the computer goes off, i have contacted proshow and they seem to think its my system and there is nothing they can do , however if i use my previous version 4 .51 i can put the show on there and burn 3 discs , yet if its in proshow 5 which it was created on , it crashes and turns off computer.

With that description I suspect an issue with the graphics card. A major change was made in Version 5 regarding how the software interacts with the card. One thing you can try is to update the drivers for the card to the latest version available from either the maker of the computer or the maker of the graphics card. How old is the computer and what's the operating system on it?
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby chriscat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi

The computer is only 1/12 old its a i5 samsung Rf510 which has the nvida geforce with cuda graffics card , all is up to date ,and i am using windows 7 home premium.
When i used the trial it worked no problem since then its just been a problem !!
The show had 184 slides and music , when i sent it to proshow , jared manged to make a dvd copy from it so i don't seem to get any further with it .
It does seem strange how if i use the same show that i created on 5 and load it onto my older version ,it works ok it says some things won't be the same cause it was created on a newer version but at least i managed to get it to render and burn !
I am disappointed with proshow as i love the softwear and have even given them business ,Proshow 5 should work on all computers , i have paid for something i can't use !!
Regrards

Christina

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting