Web Show Issues

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Web Show Issues

Postby RalphTomaccio » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Trying to create a web show to be made available on my web site for distant family and friends to view. I created one with three chapters in a nice menu, uploaded it to my web site and discovered that it runs fine in a Windows environment but does not run at all on a Mac. When trying it on the Mac, I get a message that Presenter Plug-in is required, but after downloading it, I find it's just for Windows. Is this correct? Shouldn't a web show run on pretty much any platform? With the increasing popularity of Mac's, is this going to be corrected?

Is a Flash Show my only option for a show on my web site that will run on both platforms?

Site Admin

Re: Web Show Issues

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:24 pm

The quick answer is yes, the Presenter plug-in does not work in a Mac environment. Photodex has pretty much said that this is how it will always be. As popular as Macs may appear to be, they still fall way behind in market share. I don't know if that is their excuse, though. On a side note, I think a mobile Presenter plug-in would be fantastic. With more and more people using mobile devices like the iPhone and iPad, it would be nice to have. Unfortunately this falls into the same category of working on Macs.

Most people are now embedding YouTube or Vimeo shows onto their web sites. This allows viewers from any operating system to be able to view the shows without issue. They both offer good quality and when embedded rather than linked to, most people won't view them as being any less professional.

Mike

Re: Web Show Issues

Postby RalphTomaccio » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:48 am

Per your suggestion, I began looking into Vimeo and YouTube. While reading the PSG manual, it states YouTube does not support menus, so I went directly to Vimeo for info as the manual does not state anything about menus. I noticed during the rendering stage that it, too, did not allow any set-up or use of menus. So, it appears my only option to creating a show with the ability to have everyone view it regardless of platform is with flash.

I would like to suggest, as good as your manual is, that you mention Vimeo also does not do menus. Along with the fact that there is no Presenter Plug-in available for Mac's. Small details like these would help users narrow down their choice of format when trying to decide which way to go without having to spend the time creating shows that won't work as hoped.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting