Layers

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Layers

Postby RalphTomaccio » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 am

I'm having a problem creating layers within a slide. Following the instructions to the letter, I have tried all the various methods and simply cannot get it to work.

When I'm in the Slide Options window and select "Add image or video", the Open Image File window opens, I can select a file, hit Open and nothing happens.

When I drag and drop an image from the file list holding down the control key, I do not get the "+" sign but, rather, just the page cursor alone as if I wanted to insert a new slide.

When I right click on a file in the file list there is no option that says "Add to Selected Slides".

I am using ProShow Gold as a trial and am also using an 2010 iMac 3.6 GHz with Bootcamp and Windows XP along with Parallels Build 6.0.12106. I have not had any issues with any other software with this configuration.

Layers are the main reason I am trying ProShow Gold. Please help.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Layers

Postby DickK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:26 am

Completely new problem to my knowledge -- all the methods work for me as always and I can't think of any reason you'd see that behavior. Maybe someone else on a Mac might have an idea.

In the meantime all I can suggest is that you contact PhotoDex technical support, at least they might have seen it before with a MAC-based configuration.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:44 pm

When you installed ProShow Gold, did you install it with Administrator's Privilege? Take a closer look at the installation instructions and try a reinstall. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby RalphTomaccio » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Okay, here's what I learned so far.

After contacting ProShow support, here is what they said: "Make sure everything is on the Windows side and not the Mac side or shared. Everything ProShow related and everything you use in ProShow needs to be on the Windows side."

Per that statement, I copied my folder of files over to Windows. I deleted my previous slideshow effort and loaded my files into ProShow and started over. I am now able to drag and drop files from the file list into Slide Options WITHOUT holding down the Control key. This is the ONLY way I can create layers. Drag and dropping from the timeline thumbnails and right-clicking an image in the folder list still does not work. When I right-click, "Add to Selected Slides" still does not appear. Nor does Select File in Slide Options work either.

On a positive note, by having the image files actually in the Windows side speeds up the performance substantially as opposed to having them in a "shared" environment on the Mac side. What took minutes now takes seconds.

In an attempt to find out if using ProShow Gold on a full fledged Windows computer would make any difference, I installed the software and loaded my files on a Dell running Windows XP and I had the same exact issues.

Hopefully, things will run smoother from here on out.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:14 am

RalphTomaccio wrote:Drag and dropping from the timeline thumbnails...

Maybe you misspoke on this one, but just in case you didn't, you can't drag anything from the timeline other than a slide, and this would be only to change its position. You should be able, of course, to drag an image while holding the control key from the file list into a slide that sits in the timeline.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby RalphTomaccio » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:58 am

You're right. I thought one could do it that way. I was wrong about that. Thanks for the correction.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting