ProShow crashes when creating an ISO file

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

ProShow crashes when creating an ISO file

Postby Robertr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:54 pm

I can create an ISO file (rather than burning directly to a DVD) with every show I have created except a new file I am working on which is about 1GB in size. Tried deleting 1st half then the 2nd half then I deleted the middle 1/2 of the slides (yes, returning to the orgional full size deck each time). Crashing occurs every time. Been working with tech support for a month now and they are most helpful but still not solution. Rob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: ProShow crashes when creating an ISO file

Postby DickK » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:13 pm

I'd delete the program cache file and then start an entirely new show with a few slides and attempt to make an ISO. If that fails then something about the system or the software config has changed and causing trouble. Have you tried removing the software and reinstalling?

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Robertr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Yes, I have created a test show and it burns as expected. In fact I have created several shows and they all burned to ISO. Yes, I reinstalled the software before and after these tests. This tells me the program and the computer are OK.

It is just one specific show that will not burn.

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Robertr wrote:It is just one specific show that will not burn.

Which tells me there is something in that show that is crashing Producer. You indicate you tried front half, middle half and last half with the same results. That means there is something still being included in all versions that is crashing it. Chop the show in half. If it still crashes, chop that in half. Keep doing that until you get down to a section that does not crash (save each version with a new name). When you find one that does not crash it, compare the two .psh files and see if you can see what is the difference. If only that one show causes the problem, then something is being included in all your test versions derived from that show. (note that the .psh file is just a text file and can be opened with notepad or any other text editor. It may look a bit cryptic, but it is just instructions and pointers)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby IowaGuySC » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Robertr wrote:Crashing occurs every time. Been working with tech support for a month now and they are most helpful but still not solution. Rob

Taking a guess at this one! Do you have a MENU in the show? If So, is a CUSTOM menu? If so, take a look here for a similar problem!

Quick fix -- try to render the show with NO MENU, and see if it works! If it works, the problem is in the custom menu so render/program stops so it "LOOKS LIKE A CRASH".

Hope this is it! gpsmikey and Edelbert just talked about this the other day.

Bruce

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:23 am

If I remember correctly, somebody had something similar to you and it was the background music. In your case, I doubt that as your show looks like a long one.
You have to find the common denominator which is causing th problem.
regards.
pd

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:02 am

I keep forgetting the menu aspect as a possible issue (and it could be common to all of your tests). If you do have a menu, try building without a menu and see if that works. Still a case of finding what is common to all your tests. Thanks to IowaGuySC for reminding me of the menu issue (the old gray hairs ain't what they used to be :oops: )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby schinigo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:56 am

Having the same problem. Any luck with finding the issue?

Postby Ghostpilot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:28 pm

I am sorry for making a re-post of something I wrote in another thread allready, but that other thread and this thread were the ones I read before I managed to fix my problem of PSG4 crashing when rendering the output.
*repost below*

I also had the same problem with PSG4, that the rendering process just stopped responding a while into the
process. It was a fairly large show consisting of 6 separate shows with pictures, videos and soundtracks, all tied
together in a 3x2 thumbnail menu at the start. I tried to reduce the size of some of the more huge photos in
some of the shows, as someone suggested here in this thread, but it didn't seem to have any effect at all.

As the next step in trying to fix the problem I tried two things at once, so I can't say which of them that worked
or if they both needed to be done at the same time. I tried deleting the temporary files as mentioned earlier in
this thead. I then proceeded to look at the settings of my meny (also mentioned earlier in this thread) looking
for settings and zoom levels out of bounds. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I did see that I had
items in the list of "menu things" that did not appear on the menu. Those were the "next", "previous" and
"loop all" buttons. I removed those and also the "play all" button from the list and then tried to render the
output again. This time it worked.
I have no idea if it was due to the temporary files being removed, the unused menu items being removed
or both of them together. It really doesn't matter in the end as the rendering process went fine after that.

I hope this helps someone else in deciding what to do when PSG4 doesn't do what it is told.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting