Windows 7 DVD Burning

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Windows 7 DVD Burning

Postby marma0525 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:30 pm

I got a new computer with Windows 7. Program runs great, but can't find the DVD burner. This is a known problem to Photodex, I have been told by one of their support people. They suggested to use an external DVD burning software.

I was looking for a tutorial / tips how to do that. Would I create a PC exe. file and than burn that to a DVD? Or what would be the starting file format coming out of ProShow Producer to be able to use DVD burning software? Any suggestion for a DVD burning software. I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 on my computer, would that work?

Hope I explained my problem in a way you expert understand what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matthias

Re: Windows 7 DVD Burning

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm sure Roxio will handle it for you. What you want to do is have ProShow render to an ISO file. Someone else will have to give you the details for this because it's been a bit too long since I last did it, but I can assure you that it'll solve your problems. Hang in there. Someone will show up here and explain the steps.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Here are the steps for creating an ISO:

Create Output > DVD > Burning
Click on the menu that is available in DVD Writer. Scroll down until you see "ISO Image File"

This is a screenshot from Producer, but in Gold it looks quite the same.

Press on Create.
Save the file with a meaningful name.
This file will have the extension iso and will be quite a large file.

Open your burning program and look for the option of burning an ISO (don't burn as data!!).
I'm not familiar with Roxio, so I can't give you an exact step by step.
Navigate to the file with the extension .iso that you created in ProShow, and burn it.

Many people on this forum use ImgBurn which is a free burning program and burning ISO files with it is pretty straight forward.
Last edited by cherub on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SSMAKER » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 am

Once you have created your file, try right-clicking on the file name. It may show an ISO burning program that you can use. I have a Presario Windows 7 system. A right-click reveals Open with Power2Go. It works just fine. That software came with the computer. I did not purchase it separately.

Postby marma0525 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for you help and advise. Following you advise I created an ISO file and burned it with Roxio Media Creator 2010 to a DVD+R without any problem! So, that works.

Something else I would like to share with Window 7 users, who have the same problem. I have an external DVD Drive / Burner hooked up to an older computer. I hooked that one up to my new Window 7 computer and guess what, ProShow recognized that DVD drive / burner and I was able to write a DVD without any problem.

Thanks to all your advise and my trial and error testing I have now two solutions to the Window 7 DVD burning problem.

Matthias

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 pm

There's nothing quite so good as being able to stop beating your head against the wall. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby chatterbox21 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:22 pm

I know what you are looking for. You must try "Infra Recorder". It is a disc burning suite similar to Nero. Totally free, user friendly, and secure to download. I've been using it for couple of months now and so far all my burned discs are working well. Try it! :) https://download-free.com/nero

Postby ianbutty » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi.... sorry to open an old thread but can anyone tell me if Photodex ever resolved this issue and if so what the solution is?

I'm running Producer v4.0.2479. Producer just locks up trying to write the show to DVD. I can create an ISO file and burn it using third party software, but it's a pretty clumsy work-round. I can't find anything on the photodex website.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Ian.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Ian,
There are many things that interrupt CD/DVD burning.

Since you are able to burn using a 3rd Party tool, many of us do, including myself. But if you are making multiple copies, then an ISO is the way to go and while ProShow can create and ISO, I do not believe it has facilities to create a disk from an ISO file. So a 3rd Party tool such as the free ImgBurn, or Roxio or Nero would be needed.

However, if you are committed to trying to burn from within ProShow then I would try the following:

A common burn problem is incorrect registry settings. Some software overcome this, others do not.

Go to the System Tab in the Control Panel.
Delete your CD/DVD burner.

When you restart Windows, it will reinstall the Burner. This may correct your Registry settings.
Regards,
-Vernon

Valued Member

Postby visimp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:38 pm

I had to replace my computer and ran into the same problem; no burning software. I had to phone the salesman to solve the problem. Burning disks is built into Windows 7 and an extra software is no longer needed. Insert a disk into the burner and a window will pop up giving you the choice of storage or cd/DVD. You get a second window to which you just drag and drop the ISO file. It was fast and easy. So was backing up files for storage.

I always create an ISO now, it works well and then saves time if I need multiple copies (learned it here on the forum).

Visimp

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:44 am

One trap door to be wary of is that when you create an ISO file, you have indeed created a file named whatever_you_named_it.iso *MOST* burning software seems to handle it correctly and burns a disk from the content of the ISO file (which is basically an image of the disk). The thing to watch for though is you can end up with a burned disk with a normal file structure on it containing one file --- your .iso file. While that was what you told it to do, that was not what you wanted it to do :lol: If you run into that issue, understand the difference and make sure the burning software creates a disk from the ISO file, not a disk containing the iso file :twisted:

(I should mention - I never use Producer to burn disks - I always create an ISO file so I can create additional copies etc (or replace one that gets lost etc). When I am done with a project, I get rid of all the intermediate files, keeping only the source media, .psh file and the .iso file when I am done. Disk space is cheap - keep the ISO handy 8)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting