ROUGH EDGES ON THE CAPTIONS

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

ROUGH EDGES ON THE CAPTIONS

Postby fredsheppard » Wed May 19, 2010 5:53 am

What I am trying to show in this video is the fine art of Chinese Silk Embroidery
The problem that I am encountering is in the captions .
When this video is played back on the Photodex host site in full screen the letters have very rough edges., yet when I play it back on my computer from the hard drive in full screen the captions look fine.
What would cause that effect on the Photodex host site?
3.44 MIN
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7377&alb=0
SHEPPARD500

Re: ROUGH EDGES ON THE CAPTIONS

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 19, 2010 12:32 pm

There is a problem with that link. Have you tried playing the .px file from the local drive and is the problem there or just from the Photodex site ?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby fredsheppard » Wed May 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Its only on the photodex site
SHEPPARD500

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Wed May 19, 2010 1:44 pm

I just uploaded a show and I noticed the same issue with Producer. I can go look at my other shows, as I have both Producer and Gold created shows and see, but I'm not sure I ever noticed this issue before.
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Very odd - not sure I can think of a reason why the same file played from the Photodex site would look different when played from your hard drive. Have you tried saving the file as was downloaded from the Photodex site and playing it locally ? (search the forum for saving shows to your hard drive if you don't know how to do that) I would have expected the file presenter downloads to be the same as a local copy of the .px file.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Wed May 19, 2010 3:38 pm

The rough edges are pixely. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the resolution. Maybe Photodex supports a higher resolution than we are uploading? Definitely a shot in the dark but I did notice it too. Only happens with captions that don't have outlines though. If I use the outline function its much better!
Tina
Grade 2/3 teacher

Postby fredsheppard » Wed May 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi Tina
I remember you from the cruise shows and the roast pig shows , good shows!
I phoned photodex this morning and they said it could be caused by the outline or the
the style of the lettering.
I am going to submit a revised show to their site site again .
This time i will have different text on each picture and a different outline color where I will question the rough edges as to what caused then . outline or style of lettering
There could be a problem with the output of their server that they are not aware of.
Link to the test show
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7585&alb=0
Fred
Last edited by fredsheppard on Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHEPPARD500

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Fred:

You mentioned that the full screen version from your hard drive is fine. I'm assuming you're talking about the full screen preview within Producer?

When you choose the "Share Show" feature to upload your show to Photodex you are not able to adjust any settings. The show gets uploaded for a 640 x 480 or 720 x 480 playback resolution. It looks fine until you try to view it full screen. The images and captions will become a bit soft and pixelated. You really should be using the "Web Show" option.

Below is a screenshot of the settings I use for my own 16:9 shows when using the "Web Show" option. You'll notice I have the default size set to 800 x 450. The "Rendering Limit" setting is what controls the full screen resolution. I have mine set to my monitor's maximum resolution. You can change that to fit whatever resolution you wish to use.

By using these settings you'll be able to view your shows full screen at the highest quality. When you select "Web Show" you'll be saving a PX file onto your hard drive. You'll then need to upload the PX file from within your Photodex account via your web browser.

Please note: When your PX file is being uploaded to Photodex the screen will not give you any indication that your show is being uploaded. There is no progress bar, and the screen doesn't change it's appearance. Just let it sit and don't close the window. When the show is done uploading the screen will refresh and show you the contents of your collection.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 am

Fred, thank you for the compliments. I am still churning out shows but I guess I need some excitement in my life, because I've been lacking subjects to create shows about lately!

I just watched part of your show and it seems like the blocky letters take to the screen better than the softer, cursive types. Those just looked fuzzy to me. Luckily for me, that doesn't happen on the final DVD output, it appears to be something with the computer, the screen and the internet. Have you tried burning to a disk to see if it still happens?
Tina
Grade 2/3 teacher

Postby mfx » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:35 am

Mike -

Your explanation about window and size and rendering limit pointed out exactly what I needed to address regarding an issue I have had with creating executables for a PC. So simple once I read your post and realized what was going on!

Many Thanks!
Mark

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting